Certificate in the Foundations of Public Health
The Certificate in the Foundations of Public Health is a 16-hour interdepartmental online program that offers coursework in each of the 5 major disciplines of public health for students wishing to earn graduate credit.
The Certificate in the Foundations of Public Health is a 16-hour interdepartmental online program that offers coursework in each of the 5 major disciplines of public health for students wishing to earn graduate credit. Courses are taught by University of Michigan School of Public Health faculty using distance learning. Credits may be transferable to a degree program within U-M SPH or to other schools of public health.
- Study in the full spectrum of public health disciplines
- Real time access to and mentoring by UM-SPH faculty
- Learn and network with fellow students in real time
- Graduate Certificate credential earned
- Graduate credits earned apply to UM-SPH graduate degrees and may transfer to other institutions
The certificate program offers flexibility in study for those wishing to develop foundational skills in public health without the commitment of pursuing a graduate degree. Benefits include:
- Select guaranteed Masters admission for high-performing students
- Eligibility to sit for the Certified in Public Health (CPH) Exam - earning certification
- Access to select UM-SPH Career Development resources
- 5 Courses available
- Earn your Certificate in 8 months or longer
The following comprise the required courses of the Certificate in the Foundations
of Public Health.
Read descriptions and outlines of the courses.
- Introduction to Biostatistics
- Principles of Environmental Health Sciences
- Strategies and Uses of Epidemiology
- Survey of the U.S. Health Care System
- Introduction to Health Behavior Theory and Approaches
The current rate* (2014-2015) for Michigan residents is $878 for the first credit hour and $1,042 for each additional credit hour. The current rate* for non-Michigan residents is $983 for the first credit hour and $1,147 for each additional credit hour. There are mandatory fees of $164.19 per term in addition to tuition
Below are sample approximate tuition charges for one term, including the mandatory fee. Your tuition is variable based on the number of courses you elect and the number of courses offered each term. You cannot complete all 16 credit hours in one term.
|Credits||Michigan Resident||Non-Michigan Resident|
*Tuition and fees are subject to change without notice by the Regents of the University, have been updated for Fall 2014 and typically change in the fall term. Complete U-M tuition and fee schedules are available on the Office of the Registrar website.