Global Public Health
- 70Number of countries where our faculty are working
The University of Michigan School of Public Health has a deep commitment to and rich experience in global health research, education, practice, and delivery. Our faculty have a long history of working successfully around the globe on high impact public health projects in close collaboration with a wide array of international partners.
The U-M SPH Office of Global Public Health is charged with institutional responsibility for providing broad support to our faculty, students, and international collaborators in fostering global health research, facilitating international internship development and placement, hosting international visiting scholars, ensuring provision of training and education in other countries, and in encouraging collaboration across U-M and with peer institutions while also identifying new opportunities to address global health challenges.
- 79Number of global public health faculty in the school
The core principles that guide U-M SPH educational, research, and practice activities in global health are:
- Transparent and co-equal partnerships with collaborating institutions in other nations with a special focus on working with low and middle income countries (LMICs);
- A commitment to international capacity building to develop critical public health infrastructure while also helping to create the next generation of leaders in global public health;
- Use of highly interdisciplinary approaches to complex global health challenges that are needed to develop successful and sustainable solutions to the most pressing health issues of our day;
- Global community engagement working directly with people and communities in other countries through mutually beneficial relationships based on trust and open communications to develop an action agenda grounded in the needs of the community.
These core principles guide the work of our school, our faculty, and our students in Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, the Middle East, and Europe as we look to build and improve public health in all corners of the globe.
Matthew L. Boulton is the Senior Associate Dean for Global Public Health and Director, Office of Global Public Health.
Laura Rozek is Associate Director, Office of Global Public Health.
Global Public Health Stories