PUBHLTH511: Nutrition and Public Health
- Graduate level
- Residential and Online MPH and Online MS
- This is a first year course for Online students
- Winter term(s) for residential students; Fall term(s) term for online MPH students; Fall term(s) term for online MS students.
- 2 Credit Hour(s) for residential students; 2 Credit Hour(s) for online MPH students for residential students; 2 Credit Hour(s) for online MS students
- Instructor(s): Peterson, Karen Leung, Cindy (Residential); Peterson, Karen Leung, Cindy (Online MPH); Leung, Cindy Peterson, Karen (Online MS);
- Prerequisites: SPH MPH and SPH MHSA Residential Students Only or By Instructor Permission
- Description: Introduce MPH students to important topics in nutrition and public health, program planning and program evaluation. PUBHLTH511 is an introductory course to nutrition research and will cover topics, such as healthful diet patterns, methods of dietary assessment, nutritional epidemiology, nutrition through the life cycle, and nutritional needs of diverse populations. This course will have a hybrid style (online & in-class) of instruction.
- Learning Objectives: Students will be able to: 1) apply nutrition indicators for different public health purposes, including: estimating prevalence, monitoring and surveillance, and investigating diet and disease relationships, identifying at-risk individuals and groups, and evaluating programs; 2) apply public health conceptual frameworks and nutrition research evidence to inform public health actions; 3) use evidence-based knowledge to develop nutrition programs and interventions for diverse populations; and 4) develop appropriate designs to rigorously monitor and evaluate nutrition programs and policies in diverse contexts.
- This course required for the school-wide core curriculum
|Department||Program||Degree||Competency||Specific course(s) that allow assessment||Population and Health Sciences||MPH||Design multisector collaborations that will support all phases of population health improvement (assessment, planning, implementation, evaluation)||PUBHLTH515, HBEHED590, HBEHED591, PUBHLTH511||Population and Health Sciences||MPH||Recommend evidence-based interventions that engage broad and diverse community stakeholders for population health improvement||PUBHLTH515, EPID591, NUTR597, PUBHLTH511|