Description: Consumer health informatics (CHI) gives health care consumers information and tools to facilitate their engagement. Students will become familiar with, and evaluate, a range of CHI applications. They will also assess the needs and technological practices of potential users, generate theory-informed design and implementation strategies, and select appropriate evaluation approaches.
Course Goals: LEARNING OBJECTIVES
1. Compare and evaluate a range of consumer health informatics (CHI) applications.
2. Generate CHI design and implementation principles and guidelines that incorporate theories from the behavioral, social and environmental sciences.
3. Assess consumers' health-related needs, resources and technology-oriented practices, and evaluate their implications for CHI applications.
4. Plan the design, implementation and evaluation of a new, theory-informed CHI application to address the health need(s) of a particular audience.
5. Develop a commitment to CHI practice with diverse user groups.