Programs & Degrees

U-M SPH offers four graduate degrees, a joint degree, several dual degree options, and two undergraduate degrees. Each graduate degree is completed within a specific SPH department or program:

School of Public Health Degrees

Master of Public Health (M.P.H.) is the traditional degree required by statute for public health professionals working in certain classifications in many areas. It is the oldest degree specifically identified with public health education. Many of our MPH programs have some flexibility in their requirements so you can tailor them to your particular interests.

Master of Health Services Administration (M.H.S.A.) is designed to provide a well-rounded professional education to those aspiring to leadership positions in the administration, management, and planning of health services in public and private settings.

Master of Science (M.S.) is administered by the University's Rackham Graduate School and is designed for students pursuing an academic career. It is often a prelude to a Ph.D. program. M.S. is offered in: Biostatistics, Environmental Health Sciences, Health Management and Policy, and Nutritional Sciences.

Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) is also administered by the University's Rackham Graduate School for various SPH programs. The Ph.D. program usually takes six terms of study beyond the master's degree. It includes original research, which culminates in a dissertation. Ph.D. is offered in all of our departments.

Bachelor's of the Arts (B.A.) in Community and Global Public Health and a Bachelor's of Science (B.S.) in Public Health Sciences are available to students currently enrolled  at U-M Ann Arbor (cross-campus transfer) and students attending another U.S. institution (external transfer). Interested students must apply for admission to this program during their sophomore year, and will be admitted to the SPH for their final two years.

Additional Graduate Degree Options



The tuition and fees for this program will follow rates set by the Office of the Registrar.  Contact the U-M registrar for more information.