EHS594: Global Environment and Health
- Graduate level
- Both Online MPH and Online MS
- This is a first year course for Online students
- Winter term(s) for online MPH students; Winter term(s) for online MS students.
- 2 credit hour(s) for online MPH students; 2 credit hour(s) for online MS students;
- Instructor(s): Batterman, Stuart (Online MPH); Batterman, Stuart (Online MS);
- Last offered Winter 2021
- Prerequisites: PUBHLTH 514
- Description: Minimize environmental risks, and promote health and sustainability. This course introduces the sources, transport and fate processes, and risks associated with pollutants in air, water and soil, describes sampling and assessment techniques, and presents mechanisms for management, including legal and regulatory approaches, markets and partnerships, and technological innovations.
- Learning Objectives: 1. Describe characteristics of pollutants and pollutant sources in all environmental media, including ambient air, indoor air, surface water, groundwater and soil, that are essential to understanding the potential for pollutant exposure and toxicity. 2. Obtain and analyze relevant data pertinent to environmental pollutant transport and fate, cross-media transfer, bioaccumulation, multimedia exposure pathways, and human exposure. 3. Describe and utilize concepts, terminology and models for mass balance approaches used in environmental modeling and assessments. 4. Specify monitoring needs, sampling approaches, and data quality objectives needed to characterize contaminants in air, water and soil 5. Obtain, describe and use standards and guidelines that pertain to exposure and risk-based limits for pollutants in air, water and soil. 6. Describe the rationale and assess the feasibility, applicability and performance of alternative management approaches to controlling environmental pollutants and promoting environmental health. 7. Utilize and interpret results of selected models that describe pollutant sources, transport and fate processes, and human exposure and risk, including the use of spreadsheet tools for modeling and data management.