HBEHED597: Clear Health Communication
- Graduate level
- Online MPH only
- This is a second year course for Online students
- Winter term(s) for online MPH students;
- 3 credit hour(s) for online MPH students;
- Instructor(s): Zikmund-Fisher, Brian (Online MPH);
- Prerequisites: Biostat 501, Pubhlth 508, Pubhlth 510, Pubhlth 511, Pubhlth 512, Pubhlth 513, Pubhlth 514, and Pubhlth 515
- Advisory Prerequisites: None
- Description: This course covers a variety of techniques and skills that lead to clear health communications, including ways of making health data more understandable and health messages more memorable. Participants practice these skills through a series of exercises and through creation of health communication products.
- Learning Objectives: 1) Define clear, audience-appropriate goals for a health communication 2) Identify and use features of messages to increase message memorability (i.e., stickiness) 3) Identify and provide contextual information to make health data (e.g., test results, risk statistics) more intuitively understandable and usable by different audiences 4) Evaluate to what degree health messages follow best practices such as using plain language 5) Apply principles of user-centered design and usability testing to develop and refine health messages using audience input.