Prerequisites: Prior completion of HBHE651 Program Development in Health Education
Advisory Prerequisites: Prior completion of PUBHLTH 513 or HBEHED 651
Description: HBEHED 631: Project Management in Public Health is a 3-credit course designed to provide an introduction to budgeting and related administrative skills and strategies relevant to managing public health programs. Students will build skills in hiring and managing teams, developing work plans, building and managing budgets, monitoring budget changes, and responding to funder inquiries. This course requires students to work in teams and use project management software to simulate the management of workflow and activities of a public health project.
Learning Objectives: By the end of the course, students will be able to:
1. Understand different types of funding sources and how budget development/management differs for each.
2. Develop, monitor, and modify a public health project budget.
3. Develop a project work plan.
4. Use project management tools to monitor progress toward project aims.
5. Create a team work flow that supports collaboration and outlines decision making processes.
6. Adopt a group vision that guides the work of a team.
7. Understand factors that facilitate the hiring and management of human resources for projects.
8. Develop effective communications about budget and project progress for funding agencies.