HBEHED641: Materials And Methods In Health Education Programs
- Graduate level
- Winter term(s) for residential students;
- 3 credit hour(s) for residential students;
- Instructor(s): Patel, Minal (Residential);
- Offered every year
- Prerequisites: Perm. Instr.
- Description: This course provides a hands-on experiential learning process to build understanding of effective design and use of health communication materials through both individual assignments and a team-based project conducted in cooperation with community-based organizations in the Southeast Michigan area. Students will learn how to identify and choose among different goals for health communication materials, to systematically analyze the target audience, and to develop personas to represent the audience during the development process. Students will also develop practical writing skills, learn how to involve the target audience in the material development process, and consider how best to evaluate the effectiveness of health communication materials. In the process, the course introduces students to the issues of health literacy, numeracy, and cultural humility as related to the design of public health communication strategies.
- Learning Objectives: NA- changing course title