Courses Taught by Carrie Karvonen-Gutierrez
PUBHLTH370: Public Health Biology and Pathophysiology
- Undergraduate level
- Fall term(s) for residential students;
- 4 credit hour(s) for residential students;
- Instructor(s): Karvonen-Gutierrez, Carrie (Residential);
- Prerequisites: None.
- Description: This course provides a foundation of biology and pathophysiology concepts necessary for the practice of public health including an evaluation of the natural history and mechanisms underlying infectious and chronic human diseases. This course will also address population-level targets for prevention and treatment of major diseases of human health.
- Syllabus for PUBHLTH370
PUBHLTH512: Principles of Epidemiology for Public Health
- Graduate level
- Residential and Online MPH and Online MS
- This is a first year course for Online students
- Fall, Winter term(s) for residential students; Fall term(s) for online MPH students; Fall term(s) for online MS students.
- 3 credit hour(s) for residential students; 3 credit hour(s) for online MPH students; 3 credit hour(s) for online MS students;
- Instructor(s): Pearce, C. Leigh Karvonen-Gutierrez, Carrie (Residential); Karvonen-Gutierrez, Carrie Pearce, C. Leigh (Online MPH);
- Prerequisites: SPH MPH and SPH MHSA Residential Students Only or By Instructor Permission
- Advisory Prerequisites: BIOSTAT 501 or equivalent course
- Undergraduates are allowed to enroll in this course.
- Description: This course provides a foundation to the principles of epidemiology for applications to public health. This introductory epidemiology course is for students who are NOT pursuing an Epidemiology MPH. The course will overview the fundamental concepts of epidemiology including measures of frequency and association, study design, data collection and interpretation. This course will have a hybrid style (online & in-class) of instruction.
- This course is required for the school-wide core curriculum
- Residential Syllabus for PUBHLTH512
|Department||Program||Degree||Competency||Specific course(s) that allow assessment||EHS||Industrial Hygiene||MS||Analyze, interpret, and apply statistical and epidemiological data||PUBHLTH512, EPID601, Thesis||Population and Health Sciences||MS||Demonstrate knowledge of the major issues and current research problems in population health using at least two key disciplines (e.g., biostatistics, epidemiology, environmental health, nutritional science).||PUBHLTH511, PUBHLTH512, PUBHLTH514, PUBHLTH515||Population and Health Sciences||MS||Apply methodological skills needed to plan, conduct, critique and/or research population health issues and solutions.||BIOSTAT591, PUBHLTH511, PUBHLTH512, PUBHLTH515, PUBHLTH682, PUBHLTH683|