Courses Taught by Karen Peterson
NUTR677: Physical Growth and Maturation
- Graduate level
- Fall term(s) for residential students;
- 2 credit hour(s) for residential students;
- Instructor(s): Peterson, Karen (Residential);
- Prerequisites: BIOSTAT 501 or 521
- Description: This course provides a comprehensive overview of the principles and methods to assess human physical growth and maturational tempo from conception through adolescence and among women of reproductive age. The selection, measurement, and interpretation of anthropometric indicators of growth and maturational tempo are discussed in detail. Public health applications are considered, including the use and limitations of reference growth curves; population trends in obesity, maturation, and stature; growth monitoring in the U.S. and in international public health settings and environmental influences on physical growth and maturation. Students will gain technical expertise in basic analysis and interpretation of growth data from population studies.
|Department||Program||Degree||Competency||Specific course(s) that allow assessment||NUTR||MPH||Develop appropriate designs to rigorously monitor and evaluate nutrition programs and policies in diverse contexts||NUTR633, NUTR650, NUTR677||NUTR||MPH||Apply public health theoretical frameworks and nutrition research evidence to inform public health actions||NUTR642, NUTR650, NUTR677, NUTR633||NUTR||MPH||Explain dietary influences on health outcomes, and identify population-based strategies to improve nutritional health||NUTR642, NUTR650, NUTR677|
NUTR796: Special Topics in Nutritional Sciences
- Graduate level
- Fall, Winter term(s) for residential students;
- 1-6 credit hour(s) for residential students;
- Instructor(s): Aaronson, Susan Cole, Suzanne Dolinoy, Dana Jones, Andrew Mancuso, Peter Peterson, Karen Sonneville, Kendrin Staff Baylin, Ana Anderson, Olivia (Residential);
- Prerequisites: None
- Description: This course will be used by faculty members to teach special topics related to Nutritional Sciences.