Melva Hardy Scholarship Award for UMSPH Graduate Students
The Melva Hardy Scholarship was established to honor the memory of Ms. Melva Hardy, who unexpectedly passed away on February 11, 2016. Ms. Hardy embodied the drive, excellence, and compassion that all should aspire to be, while modeling the best diversity that so many programs want to have in their student body. Ms. Hardy graduated from the University of Michigan School of Public Health, receiving her Masters of Health Services Administration degree in 2000 from the Health Management and Policy Department. Ms Hardy was also a Summer Enrichment Program (UM SEP) participant in 1997, and served as the President of the Public Health Students of African Descent (PHSAD) during her time at UMSPH. This scholarship award was established to ensure Ms. Hardy's legacy lives on at UMSPH through a deserving student possessing her qualities.
Full-time graduate students in any UMSPH Health Management and Policy degree program may apply. Scholarship is open to current second year masters students.
Qualified applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- Must be a UMSEP graduate
- Must be an active member of PHSAD
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Have a 3.0 minimum grade point average on a 4.0 scale
- Have experience working in programs that address health inequalities. Such programs include local health departments, community health centers, inner city/ rural hospitals or organizations that conduct research on or develop policy related to health disparities.
Successful applicants demonstrate strong academic achievement, leadership skills, commitment to eliminating health inequalities, and passion for serving underrepresented populations. Preference is given to first-time applicants.
A selection committee led by UMSEP Faculty Director will review all nominees in a common pool.
|Application Window Opens||March 9th|
|Application Window Close||April 13th|
|Awardee Notified||April 20th|
|Awardee Recognition||September 14th|
Award will be up to $3,000. At least one award will be made for Fall and Winter semesters.
A complete application includes:
- Personal Statement describing how you meet the eligibility and selection criterion (up to 750 words)
- Student's resume or curriculum vitae (c.v.)
- All Unofficial Transcripts
- Two professional letters of recommendations.
Application Process: Please send all completed application materials to email@example.com and enter "Melva Hardy Scholarship Application" in the subject line.
Questions? Contact the Health Equity Leadership Pipeline Collaborative at (734) 936 - 3296 or firstname.lastname@example.org.