The Student Experience
Our student body, over 1000 strong, is a vibrant and diverse community. More than half of our students come from out of state, and nearly 20% are international citizens representing 36 other nations. They range in age from 21 to 71, averaging about 26. Despite our different backgrounds, members of the SPH community share a commitment to these core values:
- Improved health for populations and individuals worldwide;
- Health equity for all people;
- Diversity and inclusion in education, research and service;
- Ethical principles of teaching, learning, research and practice;
- Excellence and innovation;
- Equitable partnerships with individuals, communities, and practitioners.
Office of Student Life
The Office of Student Life provides resources for students at the School of Public Health, supports student initiatives and student organizations, and serves as a primary liaison for students.
The Admissions team has woven support for diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout the admissions process:
- Students considering applying to SPH can participate in virtual information sessions hosted by the Admissions team that focus on health disparities that affect veteran, LBGTQ, and ethnic minority communities.
- Admitted students are invited to a Research in Health Disparities Showcase, held the evening before Admitted Student Day,
- Incoming students participate in a fun and introductory cultural awareness activity at each orientation.