Prerequisites: Biology, Grad Standing or Perm. Instr.
Undergraduates are allowed to enroll in this course.
Description: GGraduate level course on basic knowledge about microbes in the environment and its impact on public health. Topics will include:
- introduction on microbiology; - growth and control of microbes in the environment;
- characterization and identification of microbes in the environment;
- biofilms and its control;
- transmission and persistence of health-related microbes in various environments such as water, air, food, indoor and industrial settings;
- microbial transformation of organic and metal contaminants in the environments;
- spread of antibiotic resistance in the environment.