Minh Tung Phung, PhD, MPH
MPH, University of Auckland, New Zealand, 2018
Research Interests & Projects
Dr. Phung's research interests lie in the application of causal inference to identify novel factors associated with cancer risk and mortality, and the development and validation of prediction models for risk and survival of cancer, particularly breast, ovarian and cervical cancers. During his doctoral training, he explored novel factors associated with ovarian cancer, examined how they interact to each other and developed a risk stratification model. He also identified factors associated with ovarian cancer treatment and mortality, and analyzed the trends of ovarian cancer incidence. He is also interested in primary data collection; he conducted a cross-sectional study and six focus groups to explore the awareness of, experience with and attitudes toward cervical cancer prevention among Southern Vietnamese women.
Dr. Phung was awarded the 2022 Ilene Ross Joseph Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Personalized Medicine to develop and validate an algorithm for ovarian cancer precision diagnosis using electronic health record data. He was also awarded the 2022 American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)-AstraZeneca Breast Cancer Postdoctoral Research Fellowship to establish a case-control study in Michigan to study environmental exposures and risk of early-onset breast cancer.
- Phung MT*, Muthukumar A*, Trabert B, Webb PM, Jordan SJ, Terry KL, Cramer DW, Titus LJ, Risch HA, Doherty JA, Harris HR, Goodman MT, Modugno F, Moysich KB, Jensen A, Kjaer SK, Anton-Culver H, Ziogas A, Berchuck A, Khoja L, Wu AH, Pike MC, Pearce CL, Lee AW on behalf of the Ovarian Cancer Association Consortium. Effects of risk factors for ovarian cancer in women with and without endometriosis. Fertil Steril. 2022 Sep 28:S0015-0282(22)00475-7. PMID: 36182623.
- Phung MT*, Alimujiang A*, Berchuck A, Bandera EV, Chang-Claude J, Chase A, Doherty JA, Grout B, Goodman MT, Hanley GE, Lee AW, McKinnon Deurloo C, Menon U, Modugno F, Pharoah PDP, Pike MC, Richardson J, Risch HA, Sieh W, Terry KL, Webb PM, Wentzensen N, Wu AH, Pearce CL; on behalf of the Multidisciplinary Ovarian Cancer Outcomes Group and the Ovarian Cancer Association Consortium. Reproductive factors do not influence survival with ovarian cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2022 Apr 1;31(4):909-913. PMID: 35064059.
- Brieger KK*, Phung MT*, Mukherjee B, Bakulski KM, Anton-Culver H, Bandera EV, Bowtell DDL, Cramer DW, DeFazio A, Doherty JA, Fereday S, Fortner RT, Gentry-Maharaj A, Goode EL, Goodman MT, Harris HR, Matsuo K, Menon U, Modugno F, Moysich KB, Qin B, Ramus SJ, Risch HA, Rossing MA, Schildkraut JM, Trabert B, Vierkant RA, Winham SJ, Wentzensen N, Wu AH, Ziogas A, Khoja L, Cho KR, McLean K, Richardson J, Grout B, Chase A, McKinnon DC, Odunsi K, Nelson BH, Brenton JD, Terry KL, Pharaoh PD, Berchuck A, Hanley GE, Webb PM, Pike MC, Pearce CL. High pre-diagnosis inflammation-related risk score associated with decreased ovarian cancer survival. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2021 Nov 17; PubMed PMID: 34789471.
- Khoja L, Weber RP, Webb PM, Jordan SJ, Muthukumar A, Chang-Claude J, Fortner RT, Jensen A, Kjaer SK, Risch H, Doherty JA, Harris HR, Goodman MT, Modugno F, Moysich K, Berchuck A, Schildkraut JM, Cramer D, Terry KL, Anton-Culver H, Ziogas A, Phung MT, Hanley GE, Wu AH, Mukherjee B, McLean K, Cho K, Pike MC, Pearce CL, Lee AW. Endometriosis and menopausal hormone therapy impact the hysterectomy-ovarian cancer association. Gynecol Oncol. 2021 Nov 11; PubMed PMID: 34776242.
- Phung MT, Lee AW, Wu AH, Berchuck A, Cho KR, Cramer DW, Doherty JA, Goodman MT, Hanley GE,
Harris HR, McLean K, Modugno F, Moysich KB, Mukherjee B, Schildkraut JM, Terry KL,
Titus LJ, Jordan SJ, Webb PM, Pike MC, Pearce CL. Depot-Medroxyprogesterone Acetate
Use Is Associated with Decreased Risk of Ovarian Cancer: The Mounting Evidence of
a Protective Role of Progestins. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2021 May;30(5):927-935.
PubMed PMID: 33619020.
Featured as the Editors’ Selected Article from May Issue
- Lee AW, Rosenzweig S, Wiensch A, Ramus SJ, Menon U, Gentry-Maharaj A, Ziogas A, Anton-Culver H, Whittemore AS, Sieh W, Rothstein JH, McGuire V, Wentzensen N, Bandera EV, Qin B, Terry KL, Cramer DW, Titus L, Schildkraut JM, Berchuck A, Goode EL, Kjaer SK, Jensen A, Jordan SJ, Ness RB, Modugno F, Moysich K, Thompson PJ, Goodman MT, Carney ME, Chang-Claude J, Rossing MA, Harris HR, Doherty JA, Risch HA, Khoja L, Alimujiang A, Phung MT, Brieger K, Mukherjee B, Pharoah PDP, Wu AH, Pike MC, Webb PM, Pearce CL. Expanding Our Understanding of Ovarian Cancer Risk: The Role of Incomplete Pregnancies. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2021 Mar 1;113(3):301-308. PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7936053.
- Phung MT, Tin Tin S, Elwood JM. Prognostic models for breast cancer: a systematic review. BMC Cancer. 2019 Mar 14;19(1):230. PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6419427.
- Elwood JM, Tawfiq E, Tin Tin S, Marshall RJ, Phung TM, Campbell I, Harvey V, Lawrenson R. Development and validation of a new predictive model for breast cancer survival in New Zealand and comparison to the Nottingham prognostic index. BMC Cancer. 2018 Sep 17;18(1):897. PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6142675.