Jane Banaszak-Holl, PhD
- Associate Professor of Health Management and Policy
- M3509 SPH II
- 1415 Washington Heights
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2029
- 2014-2017 Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, School of Public Health, University
of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- 2014- Visiting Professor of Health Services Research, School of Health and Social
Care, University of Greenwich, U.K.
- 2013-2014 Professor (part-time) of Health Services Research, School of Health and
Social Care, University of Greenwich, U.K.
- 2003-Present Associate Professor, Department of Health Management and Policy, University
of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
- 1995-2003 Assistant Professor, Department of Health Management and Policy, University
of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
- 1994-1995 Assistant Professor (Research), Department of Community Health and Center
for Gerontology and Health Care Research, Brown University.
- 1992-1994 Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Gerontology and Health Care Research, Brown
- 1991-1992 Senior Staff Associate, Department of Sociomedical Sciences, Columbia University.
- PhD, Sociology, Cornell University, 1991
- M.A., Sociology, Cornell University, 1989
- B.A., Sociology, University of Chicago, 1986
Research Interests & Projects
- Service changes in nursing home chains; women and social support in the nursing home;
marketing of quality among nursing homes.
- Smith S, Greene MT, Mody L, Banaszak-Holl J, Petersen L, Meddings J. 2017. Evaluation
of the association between Nursing Home Survey on Patient Safety Culture (NHSOPS)
measures and catheter-associated urinary tract infections: Results of a national collaborative.
Forthcoming in BMJ Quality and Safety.
- Banaszak-Holl J, Reichert H, Greene MT, Mody L, Wald HL, Crnich C, McNamara SE, and
Meddings J. 2017. Job, tenure and facility ownership influence nursing home safety
culture: Results from a national survey. Forthcoming in the Journal of the American
Geriatrics Society. PMID: 28846129 DOI: 10.1111/jgs.15030
- E West, P McGovern, V Chandler, J Banaszak-Holl, and D Barron. 2017. The quality of
life of elderly residents of UK care homes: A systematic review. Chapter in the International
Handbook of Positive Aging, edited by Rachael Elizabeth Docking and Jennifer Stock.
- Hirth R, Zheng Q, Grabowski DC, Stevenson D, Intrator O, Banaszak-Holl J. 2017. The
effects of chains on the measurement of competition in the nursing home industry.
Medical Care Research andReview DOI: 10.1177/1077558717701771
- Mody L, Greene MT, Saint S, Meddings J, Trautner B, Wald H, Crnich C, Banaszak-Holl
J, McNamara SE, King B, Hogikyan R, Edson B, and Krein SL. 2017. Comparing catheter-associated
urinary tract infection (CAUTI) prevention programs between VA and non-VA nursing
homes. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 38(3):287-293. PMID: 27917728
- D Grabowski, J Banaszak-Holl, J Richardson, Q Zheng, Y Li, O Intrator, D Stevenson,
R Hirth. 2016. Low-Quality Nursing Homes Were More Likely Than Other Homes To Be Bought
Or Sold By Chains In 1993-2010. Health Affairs 35(5): 907-914. PMID: 27140998
- Jane Banaszak-Holl, Nicholas G. Castle, Michael Lin, Nijika Shrivastava, and Gretchen
Spreitzer. 2014. The role of organizational culture in retaining nursing workforce. The Gerontologist 55(3): 462-471. PMID: 24218146
- Academy of Management
- American Sociological Association
- Gerontological Society of America
- Society for the Study of Organising Healthcare (SHOC)
- Health Organizations Research Association (HORA)