- PhD, Philosophy, University of London, England, 1973
- MPH, Public Health, University of Michigan, 1966
- BD.Sc., Dental Science, University of Western Australia, 1960
Research Interests & Projects
- Fluoride effects; disparities in oral health; evidence-based dentistry
- Tellez, M., Sohn, W., Burt, B.A., Ismail, AI. (2006). Assessment of the relationship between neighborhood characteristics and dental caries severity among low-income African-Americans: a multilevel approach. Journal of Public Health Dentistry 30-6.
- Nriagu, J., Burt, B.A., Linder, A., Ismail, AI., Sohn, W. (2006). Lead levels in blood and saliva in a low-income population of Detroit, Michigan. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health 109-21.
- Borrell, L.N., Burt, B.A., Warren, R.C., Neighbors, H.W. (). The role of individual and neighborhood social factors on periodontitis: the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Journal of Periodontology 444-53.
- Sohn, W., Burt, B.A., Sowers, M.F. (2006). Carbonated soft drinks and caries in the primary dentition. Journal of Dental Research 262-6.
- Burt, B.A. (2006). The use of sorbitol- and xylitol-sweetened chewing gum in caries control. Journal of American Dental Association 190-6.
- Borrell, L.N., Burt, B.A., Taylor, G.W. (2005). Prevalence and trends in periodontitis in the USA: from the NHANES III to the NHANES 1988 to 2000. Journal of Dental Research 924-30.
- Burt, B.A. (2005). Concepts of risk in dental public health. Community Dental Oral Epidemiology 240-7.
- Burt, B.A. (2005). Epidemiology of periodontal diseases: a position paper of the American Academy of Periodontology. Journal of Periodontology 1406-19.
- Burt, B.A. (2004). Pre- and posteruptive fluoride: do both actions control caries? Journal of Public Health Dentistry 47-9.
- American Public Health Association
- American Association of Public Health Dentistry
- International Association for Dental Research
- Consultant, World Health Organization
President, American Board of Dental Public Health 2001-02.Editor, Community Dentistry & Oral Epidemiology, 1997-present.