In HMP, Dr. Dotson teaches courses in organizational behavior, eadership, and health equity management. He is the student case competition faculty director and is the faculty liaison to the HMP Alumni Board. Within SPH, Dr. Dotson supports recruitment and retention pipeline program initiatives, and advises the student organization Public Health Student of African Descent (PHSAD). On campus, Dr. Dotson enjoys his work with The Edward Ginsberg Center, the Center for Interprofessional Education, and the Men of Color Faculty Writing Group.
Before joining UM SPH, Dr. Dotson served as the Assistant Dean of the Office of Diversity and Inclusion and an Assistant Professor in Community Health Sciences at the University of Illinois at Chicago School of Public Health. Dr. Dotson received his PhD in Health Services and Policy Analysis from the University of California at Berkeley School of Public Health. He earned a Masters of Health Services Administration degree and a Bachelors of Science degree in Organizational Studies from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. He was also an administrative fellow at Michigan Medicine. Dr. Dotson serves on the University of Michigan SPH Health Management and Policy Program Alumni board, and several of his community service efforts are focused on mentoring youth, especially young men.
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of California at Berkeley, School of Public Health,
Health Services & Policy Analysis Program, Concentration: Organizational Theory, 2008
- Master of Health Services Administration, University of Michigan, School of Public,
Health Health Management and Policy Program, 2001
- Bachelor of Science, University of Michigan, College of Literature, Sciences, & Arts, Major: Organizational Studies/Interflex (Pre-Medical/Medical Program), 1999
Dr. Dotson's research topics include organizational theory and behavior, health equity,
leadership competencies, health professions pipelines, workforce diversity, predictive
assessment, health literacy, and community health.
- Dotson, ED. (2019). My Ethos to Pathos: A Response to Dr. Filerman and his Professional
Challenge to Us. Journal of Health Administration Education, 36(1), 23-26.
- Dotson ED, Nimer B, Jagers J, Clarke C. (2018). Health Equity: A Post-Millennial's
Definition for Boomers and Xers. Journal of Health Administration Education, 35(3),
- Dotson ED, Bonam C, Jagers J. (2017). Redefining race as a process: Implications for
healthcare leadership. Journal of Health Administration Education, 34(2), 295-318.
- Enard K, Dotson ED, Broom K, Dean J, Wiltshire J, Elder K. (2017). Diversity and Inclusion
in Graduate Healthcare Management Education: Perspectives from program directors and
students. Journal of Health Administration Education, 34(2), 191-212.
- Dotson ED, Hibbler DK, and Scott L. (2017). Culture of learning cities: Connecting
leisure and health for lifelong learning communities. In Public Health and Welfare:
Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications (pp. 755-778). IGI Global.
- Edward Ginsberg Center - Faculty Advisory Board (2019-present)
- National Association of Health Services Executives - National Research Committee (2017-present)
- Big Ten Academic Alliance - Health Equity Initiative - U-M Faculty Lead (2017-2018)
- Detroit Institute for Population Healh Board of Directors (2016-2018)
- University of Michigan Health Management and Policy Program Alumni Board (2011-present)