Dr. Eisman's research focuses on the effective integration of evidence-based programs (EBP) for adolescent substance use, violence prevention and mental health promotion in community schools. Her work examines key determinants of EBP implementation (i.e., barriers and facilitators) and applies this research to designing and testing effective and cost-effective implementation strategies to enhance EBP delivery. Her work also applies principles of implementation science across research phases, from discovery to implementation and dissemination, to accelerate research-to-practice translation.
- PhD, Health Behavior & Health Education, University of Michigan, 2014
- MPH, Health Behavior & Health Education, University of Michigan, 2011
- MS, Occupational Therapy, University of Indianapolis, 1996
- BA, Biological Basis of Behavior, University of Pennsylvania, 1993
Research Interests & Projects
Dr. Eisman's research interests include adolescent and emerging adult health, substance use and violence prevention, mental health promotion, risk and resilience among youth living in socioeconomically challenged communities, intervention research in community settings, quantitative methodology and implementation research.
Her current work and ongoing projects focus on the following areas: 1) mixed-method approaches to studying EBP implementation, 2) systematic adaptation and evaluation of evidence-based drug use and violence prevention interventions in community settings for youth, 3) designing and testing implementation strategies that enhance fidelity and promote health equity for universal prevention programs in schools and 4) pragmatic approaches to economic evaluation of implementation strategies, and 5) community engaged implementation research.
- Eisman A.B., Hicks M., Kernsmith P., Rupp L., Smith-Darden J., Zimmerman M.A. (accepted) Adapting an Evidence-Based Positive Youth Development Intervention to Prevent Sexual and Teen Dating Violence. Translational Behavioral Medicine.
- Eisman A.B., Kilbourne A.M., Ngo Q.M., Fridline J., Zimmerman M.A., Greene, D., Cunningham R.M. (accepted) Implementing a State-Adopted High School Health Curriculum: A Case Study. Journal of School Health.
- Eisman A.B., Kilbourne A.M., Dopp A., Saldana L., Eisenberg D. (in press) Economic Evaluation in Implementation Science: Making the Business Case for Implementation Strategies. Psychiatry Research.
- Veliz P., Eisman A.B., McCabe S.E., Evans-Polce R., McCabe V., Boyd C. (in press) E-cigarette Use, Poly-tobacco Use, and Longitudinal Changes in Tobacco and Substance Use Disorder Symptoms among U.S. Adolescents. Journal of Adolescent Health.
- Lee D.B., Eisman A.B., Stoddard S.A., Peckins M.K., Goldstick J., Hsieh H. F., Velazquez, J. M., Zimmerman, M. A. (2108). Racial discrimination and cortisol in African American emerging adults: The role of neighborhood racial composition. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 24(4):521-529.
- Eisman A.B., Lee D.B, Hsieh H.-F., Stoddard S.A., Zimmerman M.A. (2018). More Than Just Keeping Busy: The Protective Effects of Organized Activity Participation on Violence and Substance Use Among Urban Youth. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 47(10):2231-2242.
- Ngo Q., Eisman A.B., Walton M., Kusunoki Y., Chermack S., Singh V., Cunningham R.M. (2018). Emergency Department Alcohol Intervention: Effects on Dating Violence and Depression. Pediatrics, July, 142(1).
- Eisman A.B., Epstein-Ngo Q., Kusunoki Y., Bonar E. E., Zimmerman M.A., Cunningham R.M., Walton M.A. (2018). Sexual Violence Victimization Among Youth Presenting to an Urban Emergency Department: The Role of Violence Exposure in Predicting Risk. Health Education and Behavior, 45(4):625-634.
- Morrel-Samuels S., Rupp L., Eisman A.B., Miller A., Stoddard S.A., Franzen S., Hutchinson P., Zimmerman M.A. (2018). Measuring the Implementation of Youth Empowerment Solutions. Health Promotion Practice, 19(4):581-589.
- Savolainen J., Eisman A.B., Mason W.A. (2018). Socioeconomic Disadvantage and Psychological Deficits: Pathways from Early Cumulative Risk to Late-Adolescent Criminal Conviction. Journal of Adolescence, 65:16-24
- Zimmerman M.A., Eisman A.B., Reischl T.M., Morrel-Samuels S., Stoddard S., Miller A.L., Hutchinson P., Franzen S., Rupp L. (2018). Youth Empowerment Solutions: Evaluation of an after-school program to engage middle school students in community change. Health Education and Behavior, 45(1): 20-31.
- Eisman A.B., Stoddard S.A., Bauermeister J.A., Caldwell C.H., Zimmerman M.A. (2018). Organized Activity Participation and Relational Aggression: The Role of Positive Youth Development. Violence and Victims, 33(1): 91-108.
- Ranney M.L., Goldstick J.G., Eisman A.B., Carter P.M., Walton M.A., Cunningham R.M. (2017). Effects of a Brief ED-Based Alcohol and Violence Intervention on Depressive Symptoms. Gen Hosp Psych, May, 46:44-48.