Karen Farris, Ph.D.
- Professor, Health Behavior & Health Education
- Charles R. Walgreen III Professor of Pharmacy Administration
- Associate Chair, Professional and Graduate Education, Department of Clinical, Social, and Administrative Sciences, College of Pharmacy
- College or Pharmacy
- 428 Church Street
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1065
Karen Farris received her BS in pharmacy from the University of Tennessee Health Science Center and her doctorate from U-M, with training in pharmacy, social psychology, and health behavior. Her research and teaching focus on social theories to examine how individuals manage medications and how pharmacists in primary care settings influence medication use. She studies individuals’ medication adherence, reasons for non-adherence, including concern and necessity beliefs, and self-reporting adverse effects. She has quantified the impact of pharmacists’ care on medication adherence and health outcomes.
Farris has served on NIH study sections for Small Business Innovation Research; Risk, Prevention and Health Behavior Review; and Healthcare Delivery and Methodologies. She is an active member in the American Pharmacists Association, American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, and Pharmacy Quality Alliance. She was named Outstanding Graduate Student Mentor in Biological and Life Sciences at the University of Iowa, in 2007, and an APhA Fellow in 2006.
Research Interests & Projects
- Beliefs about medications and their impact on adherence (e.g., among older adults experiencing an adverse effect or among women using adjuvant chemotherapy)
- Using reinforcement learning to improve medication use
- Pharmacists’ roles in improving medication use and health outcomes
- Pharmacists’ roles in public health (e.g., reducing unintended pregnancy)
- Gatwood, J, Balkrishnan, R., Erickson, Steven R., An, Lawrence C., Piette, JD., Farris, Karen B. (2014). Addressing medication nonadherence by mobile phone: Development and delivery of tailored messages. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy .
- Chrischilles, EA, Hourcade, JP, Doucette, W, Eichmann, D, Gryzlak, B, Lorentzen, R, Wright, K, Letuchy, E, Mueller, M, Farris, K, (2014). Barcey Levy Personal health records: A randomized trial of effects on elder medication safety. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 679-686.
- Witry, MJ, Doucette, WR, Zhang, Y, Farris, KB. (2014). Multiple adherence tool evaluation study (MATES). Journal of Managed Care Pharmacy 734-740.
- Chrischilles, EA, Doucette, W, Farris, K, Lindgren, S, Gryzlak, B, Rubenstein, L, Youland, K. (2014). Robert B. Wallace Medication Therapy Management and Complex Patients With Disability: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Annals of Pharmacotherapy 158-167.
- Farley, TM, Shelsky, C, Powell, S, Farris, KB, (2014). Barry L. Carter effect of clinical pharmacist intervention on medication discrepancies following hospital discharge. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy 430-437.