Trish Koman is a research investigator at the University of Michigan School of Public
Health Environmental Health Sciences department and the faculty research program manager
at the College of Engineering Multidisciplinary Design. She leads community-engaged
research to create healthier communities.
Trish draws on over 20 years of public service as a senior environmental scientist at U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) working mainly to improve air quality. She was part of the leadership team for the US EPA's National Clean Diesel Campaign, where she initiated a partnership to reduce diesel emissions at U.S. marine ports and helped create the Clean School Bus USA partnership program to protect children's health. Trish managed multi-disciplinary benefit-cost analyses, regulatory programs, and technological innovation initiatives. Her air quality and policy analyses formed the rationale for setting landmark national ambient air quality standards for fine particulate matter, which withstood a challenge to the U.S. Supreme Court. She has been recognized with four Gold Medals for exceptional service to the country and an EPA Administrator award for excellence.
In partnership with community groups, Trish led an environmental education effort in Flint, Michigan. Trish received a University of Michigan Provost award for innovation in teaching.
Doctor of Philosophy,Environmental Health Sciences
University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor
Master of Public Policy
Graduate School of Public Policy, University of California, Berkeley
B.A. with Distinction, Chemistry and Philosophy
University of Virginia
Phi Beta Kappa; Louis Hammond Prize; Raven Society; Echols Scholar; Alpha Epsilon Delta science honorary society
Research Interests & Projects
- The use of science in policy
- Cardiovascular and respiratory mechanisms for air pollution health effects;
- Climate change, weather and health with an emphasis on air pollution from wildfire
- Environmental equity and susceptible populations
- Environmental exposure assessment
- Chemical policy and sustainability
- Community-engaged methodologies
Koman PD, Mancuso P. 2017. Ozone exposure, cardiopulmonary health, and obesity: a substantive
review. Chem. Res. Toxicol. acs.chemrestox.7b00077; doi:10.1021/acs.chemrestox.7b00077.
ISSN 0893-228X. PMID 28574698
Koman, P.D., Hogan, K.A., Sampson, N., Mandell, R., Coombe, C.M., Tetteh, M.M., Hill-Ashford, Y.R., Wilkins, D., Zlatnik, M.G., Loch-Caruso, R., Schulz, A.J., Woodruff, T.J., 2018. Examining Joint Effects of Air Pollution Exposure and Social Determinants of Health in Defining "At-Risk" Populations Under the Clean Air Act: Susceptibility of Pregnant Women to Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy. World Med. Heal. Policy 10, 7–54. https://doi.org/10.1002/wmh3.257
Norton R.K., David N.P., Buckman S., Koman P.D. 2018. Overlooking the coast: Limited local planning for coastal area management along Michigan's Great Lakes. Land use policy 71:183–203; doi:10.1016/j.landusepol.2017.11.049.
Koman, P.D., J. Lam, T.J. Woodruff. The Promise and Perils of the Lautenberg Chemical Safety Act. (Invited commentary revision under review)
Report to Congress: Highlights of the Diesel Emissions Reduction Program, Energy Policy Act of 2005, US EPA Office of Air and Radiation report, EPA-420-R-09-006, August 2009 (Principal author)
Study and Report to Congress on Section 183(e), Response to Comments, U.S. EPA, Office of Air and Radiation report, EPA-453/R-98-007, August 1998 (Managing director)
Review of the National Ambient Air Quality Standards for Particulate Matter: Policy Assessment of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. EPA Office of Air and Radiation report, EPA-452\R-96-013, July 1996 (Principal author)
- American Society for Engineering Education (2018 - present)
- Climate Reality Leaders (2017 – present), President of Washtenaw County Chapter (2018 – present)
- International Society for Environmental Epidemiology (2015 - present)
- International Epidemiology Association (2016 - present)
- American Public Health Association (2004, 2012 - present), Chemicals and Health topic committee co-chair (2018)
- Michigan Engaging Community Through the Classroom Advisory Committee (2013 - present)
- Mentor, Reach the Decision Makers program, University of California at San Francisco (2013 – 2016)
- Navigation Guide Group, University of California at San Francisco Program on Reproductive Health and the Environment (2012 – present)
- American Association of Port Authorities, Harbors Navigation and Environment Committee (2005 - 2011)