Dr. Darleen Sandoval is Assistant Professor of Surgery at the University of Michigan School of Medicine. Dr. Sandoval received her Ph.D. in Exercise Science at Arizona State University and received a Postdoctoral Fellowship in the Division of Endocrinology at Vanderbilt University. Dr. Sandoval's research surrounds two general themes both focused on the role of the gut-brain axis in metabolism. The first focuses on the role of a gastrointestinal peptide, GLP-1, in regulation of energy and glucose homeostasis. The second focuses on the adaptations of the gut-brain axis with bariatric surgery and how this contributes to the profound weight-loss and improvements in glucose and lipid homeostasis seen with these surgeries. Both research themes use a combination of molecular and physiological techniques with the goal of generating better therapeutic options for obesity and type 2 diabetes.
- B.S., Exercise Science, University of New Mexico, 1993
- M.S., Exercise Science, Central Washington University, 1996
- Ph.D., Exercise Science, Arizona State University, 2000
Research Interests & Projects
- The neurophysiology of GLP-1
- The role of the gut-brain axis in the metabolic benefits of bariatric surgery
- Metabolic adaptation to bariatric surgery
- Chambers AP, Kirchner H, Wilson-Perez HE, Willency JA, Hale JE, Gaylinn BD, Thorner
MO, Pfluger PT, Gutierrez JA, Tschöp MH, Sandoval DA, Seeley RJ. The Effects Of Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy In Rodents Are Ghrelin Independent. Gastroenterology. 144(1):50-52.e5. 2013. Epub 2012 Sep 17.
- Sandoval DA, Barrera, JG, Stefater, MA, Sisley, S, Woods, SC, D’Alessio, D, Seeley, RJ. The
Anorexic Effect Of GLP-1 In Rats Is Nutrient Dependent. PLoS ONE 2012, 7(12): e51870.
- Wilson-Pérez HE, Chambers AP, Sandoval DA, Stefater MA, Woods SC, Benoit SC, Seeley RJ. The Effect of Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy on Food Choice in Rats.Int J Obes (Lond). 37(2):288-95, 2013. Epub 2012 Feb 14.
- Mul, JD, Begg, DP, Barrera, JG, Li, B, D’Alessio, DA, Woods, SC, Seeley, RJ, Sandoval, DA, High-Fat Diet Changes The Time Profile Of GLP-1R Agonist-Induced Hypophagia In Rats.
Am J Phys Reg Comp Physiol. Jul;305(1):R68-77, 2013
- Chambers, AP, Smith, EP, Begg, DP, Grayson, BE, Sisley, S, Greer, T, Sorrell, J, Lemmen,
L, LaSance, K, Woods, SC, Seeley, RJ, D’Alessio, DA, Sandoval, DA. Regulation of Gastric Emptying Rate and its Role in Nutrient-Induced GLP-1 Secretion
in Rats after Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 306(4):E424-32, 2014, Epub 2013 Dec 24.
- Pressler, J.W., Haller, A., Sorrell, J., Wang, F., Seeley, R.J., Tso, P., Sandoval, D.A. Vertical sleeve gastrectomy restores glucose homeostasis in apolipoprotein A-IV
KO mice. Diabetes. 64(2):498-507. 2014
- Sandoval DA, D’Alessio DA. Physiology of Proglucagon Peptides: The role of glucagon and GLP-1
in health and disease. Physiology Reviews. 95(2):513-48. 2015
- Seeley RJ, Chambers AP, Sandoval DA. The Role of Gut Adaptation in the Potent Effects of Multiple Bariatric Surgeries on Obesity and Diabetes. Cell Metab. 3;21(3):369-78. 2015
- Endocrine Society
- American Diabetes Association