Alumni Class Notes
Send news to Findings Class Notes by e-mailing email@example.com, using the online form, or mailing updates to:
U-M School of Public Health
Office of Marketing & Communications
1415 Washington Heights
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2029
- Having retired in 2012, at age 90, from his post as director of the Fritz Beske Institute for Health Systems Research Kiel, Fritz Beske, MD, MPH ’55, has published two books: one on the future of the health care system in Germany, Gesundheitsversorgung von morgen (Tomorrow’s Health Care), and a second on aging, Bewusst älter werden (Mindful Aging).
- Speaking at the Achieving the Dream Annual Institute on Student Success last February, James P. Comer, MD, MPH ’64, said that community colleges are a key to upward mobility in the U.S. because they serve so many low-income students. Comer, 79, is the Maurice Falk Professor of Child Psychiatry at the Yale Child Study Center.
- A former U.S. Assistant Surgeon General, Roscoe M. Moore Jr., MPH ’70, DVM, is a senior advisor to Cannabis Science, a U.S. company specializing in cannabis formulation-based drug development and related consulting. Moore also leads the company’s initiative in Africa and is a senior member of its scientific advisory board.
- Eugenio D. Beltran, DMD, MPH ’87, MS, DrPH ’96, is senior director of the American Dental Association’s Center for Scientific Strategies and Information.
- Stanford University’s Haas Center for Public Service has awarded its 2014 Miriam Aaron Roland Volunteer Service Prize to Catherine Heaney, MPH ’85, PhD ’88. An associate professor, Heaney teaches in the Stanford Prevention Research Center, the Department of Psychology, and the interdisciplinary Program in Human Biology.
- Blake Medical Center in Bradenton, Florida, has appointed Valerie Powell-Stafford, MHSA ’89, as its new chief operating officer.
- As a managing director and executive medical director at FTI Consulting, Michigan-based William Allen, MD, MHSA ’98, is part of the company’s Health Solutions segment and a leader in its Convergence group.
- David Janotha, MHSA ’90, has joined Axiom EPA as Industry Vice President of Healthcare. Previously, Janotha held leadership roles at Loyola University of Chicago Medical Center, Transition Systems Inc., Eclipsys, and Deloitte Consulting LLP.
- A health care quality expert with experience in both the public and private sectors, Maulik S. Joshi, MHSA ’92, DrPH ’00, is president of the Health Research and Educational Trust and senior vice president of research at the American Hospital Association.
- Edmundo Muniz, MS ’90, PhD ’92, is the new CEO of Certara, a global technology-enabled drug-development and drug-safety consultancy. Muniz was previously president and CEO of the Kirax Corporation.
- In August, Leigh A. Neumayer, MD, MS ’93, became the first-ever female head of surgery at the University of Arizona (UA). She is also the Margaret E. and Fenton L. Maynard Endowed Chair in breast cancer research at the UA Cancer Center.
- In his new book, Surgeon General’s Warning: How Politics Crippled the Nation’s Doctor (University of California Press), Mike Stobbe, MPH ’94, tells the history and current political struggles of the Office of the U.S. Surgeon General. Stobbe interviewed Michigan’s Kenneth Warner and Howard Markel, among many others, as part of his research.
- After 35 years in the legislative and executive branches of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Richard Weston, DrPH ’94, has retired.
- Ikenna “Ike” Mmeje, MHSA ’07, is chief operating officer at Sierra Vista Regional Medical Center, the largest medical center in San Luis Obispo County, California.
- After nine years of working for The Carter Center on issues such as guinea worm and malaria, Aryc W. Mosher, ’00, has joined the Neglected Infectious Diseases team at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. He credits his success to date to “the strong foundation of education that I received at U-M.”
- Kristen Schweighoefer, MPH ’00, is the new environmental health director for the Washtenaw County (Michigan) Public Health Department. A registered sanitarian, Schweighoefer received the 2010 Michigan Environmental Health Association’s Distinguished Member Service Award.
- As an ORISE fellow in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Yasi Mazloomdoost, MPH/MSW ’13, is a member of Assistant Secretary Howard Koh’s tobacco control policy staff. Her portfolio includes the Tobacco-Free College Campus Initiative, which originated at U-M.
- In addition to serving as president of the Spectrum Health Medical Group, Seth W. Wolk, MD, MHSA ’10, recently became the organization’s chief medical officer.
- Beatrice W. Greenbaum, MSPH ’43 — April 5, 2014
- Helen L. Scheibner, MPH ’45 — April 18, 2014
- Lauralee S. Boyd, BSPHN ’50; MPH ’51 — January 1, 2012
- John E. McAllister, MPH ’52 — July 20, 2014
- Philip C. Loh, MPH ’54; PhD ’59 — September 17, 2013
- Eugene H. Guthrie, MPH ’55 — August 6, 2014
- Marjorie J. Cole, BSPHN ’56 — March 20, 2014
- Samuel L. Ettman, MPH ’56 — March 13, 2011
- Grace A. Heath, BSPHN ’56 — May 3, 2014
- Alyce Bowman-Hartzler, BSPHN ’57 — April 9, 2014
- Barbara I. Stone, BSPHN ’57 — June 28, 2014
- Nancy J. Russell, MPH ’58 — May 25, 2014
- Henry V. Walkowiak, MPH ’58 — June 21, 2014
- Merlyn B. Johnson, MPH ’64 — April 5, 2014
- Julia L. Stipe, BSPHN ’64 — November 19, 2009
- Kathryn A. Sullivan, BSPHN ’64 — March 15, 2014
- Mary S. Freliga, MPH ’66 — May 1, 2014
- James L. Ash, MHA ’68 — June 19, 2014
- Jean C. Chabut, MPH ’68 — July 27, 2014
- Harvey Pine, MPH ’68 — June 11, 2014
- A. Stephen Coburn, MPH ’71 — March 19, 2014
- Walter F. Meyers, MPH ’72 — June 18, 2014
- Lawrence H. Bois, MHA ’73 — June 13, 2014
- Hilde M. Lehmann, MPH ’73 — June 24, 2014
- Michael Glanz, MPH ’74 — May 17, 2014
- John R. Balch, MHSA ’77 — April 8, 2014