Ph.D. Student Profile
- M.P.H., Reproductive Health and HIV, University of Cape Town (2007)
- B.S., Anthropology & Zoology, University of Michigan (2003)
Research Interests & Projects
The intersection of reproductive health and HIV care, family planning, fertility desires,
safe pregnancy for people living with HIV, HIV stigma, global reproductive health.
- Gutin, S.A., Amico, K.R., Hunguana, E., Munguambe, A.O., Dawson Rose, C. (2017). The
relationship of repeated technical assistance support visits to the delivery of positive
health, dignity and prevention (PHDP) messages by healthcare providers in Mozambique:
A Longitudinal Multilevel Analysis. Journal of the International Association of Providers
of AIDS Care (JIAPAC). Jan 1:2325957417724206. doi: 10.1177/2325957417724206. [Epub
ahead of print]
- Dawson Rose, C., Gutin, S.A., Cummings, B., Jaintilal, P., Johnson, K., Mbofana, F.
(2016). ART adherence as a key component of Prevention with Persons Living with HIV
in Mozambique. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 27(1): 44-56.
- Audet, C.M., Gutin, S.A., Blevins, M., Chiau, E., Alvim, F., Jose, E., Vaz, L.M.,
Shepherd, B.E., Dawson Rose, C. (2015). The Impact of Visual Aids and Enhanced Training
on the Delivery of Positive Health, Dignity, and Prevention Messages to Adult Patients
Living with HIV in Rural North Central Mozambique. PLoS One. 10(7):e0130676.
- Gutin, S.A., Namusoke, F., Shade, S.B., Mirembe, F. (2014). Fertility Desires and
Intentions among HIV-positive women during the post-natal period in Uganda. African
Journal of Reproductive Health. 18(3): 67-77.
- Hilliard, S., Gutin, S.A., Dawson Rose, C. (2014). Messages on pregnancy and family
planning that providers give women living with HIV in the context of a Positive Health,
Dignity and Prevention intervention in Mozambique. International Journal of Women's
- Cummings, B., Gutin, S.A., Jaintilal, P., Correia, D., Malimane, I., Dawson Rose,
C. (2014). The Role of Social Support among People Living with HIV in Rural Mozambique.
AIDS Patient Care and STDs. 28(11): 602-12.
- Gutin, S.A., Cummings, B., Jaintilal, P., Johnson, K., Mbofana, F., Dawson Rose, C.
(2014). Qualitative evaluation of a Positive Prevention training for health care providers
in Mozambique. Evaluation and Program Planning. 43: 38–47.
- Gutin, S.A., Mlobeli, R., Moss, M., Buga, G., Morroni, C. (2011). Survey of knowledge,
attitudes and practices surrounding the intrauterine device in South Africa. Contraception.
Additional InformationPrior to beginning her doctoral studies, Sarah conducted reproductive health and HIV
research and programs in South Africa, Uganda and Mozambique. Sarah is interested
in addressing how to make safer conception interventions acceptable and available
to people living with, and affected by, HIV. Her doctoral research is based in Botswana.