Ph.D. Student Profile
Leslee McKnight, B.A.
- Doctoral Candidate (2015): Health Services Organization and Policy and Political Science
- Cognate: Political Science
- BA, cum laude, Political Science and Sociology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT (2008)
Research Interests & Projects
- Racial health disparities
- African American Health
- Incarceration and its effect on population and community health
- HIV and Racial HIV disparities
Currently, I am focused on examining how and if incarceration is linked to the community health of those living beyond prison walls. More specifically, I am interested in how incarceration may impact the transmission of HIV within minority communities at large, as well as account for some of the disparity between overall HIV rates between whites and African Americans. As we are seeing a dual epidemic of increasing incarceration rates and higher HIV prevalence in African Americans, one policy avenue to address the HIV epidemic may be through a closer examination of our incarceration and criminal justice policies.