Ph.D. Student Profile
- B.S., Yale University (2009)
Research Interests & Projects
- Physician payment reform
- Financial incentives
- Quality of care
- Access to care
- Health disparities
- Population health
My research seeks to understand the effects of physician payment reform on quality of care, health disparities, and long-run population health.
- Ryan A.M., Tompkins, C.P., Markovitz A.A. & Burstin H.R. (2016). Linking cost and quality indicators to measure value and efficiency in health care. Medical Care Research & Review. doi:10.1177/1077558716650089
- Markovitz A.A. & Ryan A.M. (2015). Pay-for-performance: disappointing results or masked heterogeneity? Medical Care Research & Review. doi:10.1177/1077558715619282.
- Markovitz, A.A., Simanek, A.M., Yolken, R.H., Galea, S., Koenen, K.C., Chen, S. & Aiello, A.E. (2015). Toxoplasma gondii and anxiety disorders in a community-based sample. Brain Behav Immun, 43, 192-197. doi: 10.1016/j.bbi.2014.08.001
- Markovitz A.A., Mack JA, Nallamothu BK, Ayanian JZ, Ryan AM. Incremental effects of antihypertensive drugs: instrumental variable analysis. The BMJ. 2017 Dec 22;359:j5542. doi: 10.1136/bmj.j5542.
- Markovitz A.A., Hofer TP, Froehlich W, Lohman SE, Caverly TJ, Sussman JB, Kerr EA. An examination of deintensification recommendations in clinical practice guidelines: stepping up or scaling back? JAMA Intern Med. 2017 Dec 18. doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2017.7198.
- Markovitz A.A., Ellimoottil C, Sukul D, Mullangi S, Chen L, Nallamothu BK, Ryan AM. Risk adjustment may lessen penalties on hospitals treating complex cardiac patients under Medicare’s bundled payments. Health Affairs. 2017 Dec;36(12):2165-2174. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2017.0940.
- Markovitz A.A., Holleman RG, Hofer TP, Kerr EA, Klamerus ML, Sussman JB. Effects of guideline and formulary changes on statin prescribing in the Veterans Affairs. Health Services Research (“Best of AcademyHealth ARM” Issue). 2017 Dec;52(6):1996-2017. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.12788.
- Markovitz A.A., Ramsay P, Shortell SM, Ryan AM. Financial incentives and physician practice participation in Medicare’s value-based reforms. Health Services Research. 2017 Jul 26. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.12743.
- American Society of Health Economists
- International Health Economics Association
- American Physician Scientists Association