Ph.D. Student Profile
- B.S., Yale University (2009)
Research Interests & Projects
- Physician payment reform
- Financial incentives
- Quality of care
- Access to care
- Health disparities
- Population health
My research examines the effects of payment reform and performance measurement on health care quality and costs. My long-term research agenda focuses on identifying incentives and system practices that improve population health and reduce health disparities.
- Markovitz AA, Mack JA, Nallamothu BK, Ayanian JZ, Ryan AM. Incremental effects of antihypertensive drugs: instrumental variable analysis. The BMJ. 2017 Dec 22;359:j5542. doi: 10.1136/bmj.j5542.
- Markovitz AA, Hofer TP, Froehlich W, Lohman SE, Caverly TJ, Sussman JB, Kerr EA. An examination of deintensification recommendations in clinical practice guidelines: stepping up or scaling back? JAMA Intern Med. 2017 Dec 18. doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2017.7198.
- Markovitz AA, Ellimoottil C, Sukul D, Mullangi S, Chen L, Nallamothu BK, Ryan AM. Risk adjustment may lessen penalties on hospitals treating complex cardiac patients under Medicare’s bundled payments. Health Affairs. 2017 Dec;36(12):2165-2174. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2017.0940.
- Markovitz AA, Holleman RG, Hofer TP, Kerr EA, Klamerus ML, Sussman JB. Effects of guideline and formulary changes on statin prescribing in the Veterans Affairs. Health Services Research (“Best of AcademyHealth ARM” Issue). 2017 Dec;52(6):1996-2017. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.12788.
- Markovitz AA, Ramsay P, Shortell SM, Ryan AM. Financial incentives and physician practice participation in Medicare’s value-based reforms. Health Services Research. 2017 Jul 26. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.12743.
- American Society of Health Economists
- Society of General Internal Medicine