The Health Benefits of Life Purpose
Evidence shows that health-related behavior change is best achieved when an individual has a strong sense of life purpose. Dr. Victor Strecher, a professor at U-M SPH, has been exploring ways to both help individuals find greater purpose in their lives, and measure the health outcomes of these efforts. Strecher's work in the area of purpose stems from a personal journey following the death of his 19 year old daughter. He chronicles this journey, and offers guidance for others looking to develop purpose in their own lives, in his recent book, On Purpose: Lessons in Life and Health From the Frog, the Dung Beetle, and Julia.
About Vic Strecher
Dr. Victor Strecher has been a Professor in the U-M SPH since 1995. He founded the Center for Health Communications Research and has been leading investigator on over $45 million in grant-funded studies. With
the University, Dr. Strecher founded HealthMedia Inc. in 1998, which was purchased by by Johnson & Johnson on 2008. Currently, as Director for Innovation and Social Entrepreneurship, Dr. Strecher is helping the University of Michigan disseminate research to the real
world, improving the public's health nationally and globally.
More about Dr. Strecher:
About the Book
Dr. Strecher's latest research and book is related to the importance of developing and maintaining a strong purpose in life. On Purpose: Lessons in Life and Health From the Frog, the Dung Beetle, and Julia, is written for the lay public with a professional comic illustrator as a graphic novel. The book details his search to find purpose, and identifies steps that individuals can take to help align themselves with core values and purpose, including identifying core values, developing a purpose statement, and aligning ones life with goals. For more information, including book excerpts and "Behind the Story" interviews, visit www.dungbeetle.org.
- How can health professionals renew their sense of purpose?, Joint Conference on Advances in Pediatric Cardiovascular Disease Management, September 30, 2015
- From the Depths of Dispair, A Public Health Breakthrough, Findings Web Extra, Spring 2014
- Positive Links Speaker Series 2014, U-M Center for Positive Organizations, April 8, 2014
- Keynote, U-M Depression Center's Depression on College Campuses Conference 2014, March 13, 2014
- On purpose: Vic Strecher at TEDxUofM, TEDxUofM, February 2014
- Keynote, Big Ten Retirees Association, August 10, 2013
- "On Purpose: A New Direction for Health and Health Informatics," Google Lecture Series on Innovation and Entrepreneurship, March 29, 2013
- Keynote, U-M Symposium on Mental Health in the Workplace 2012
- Ignite Talk, FOO Camp 2012
- TEDMED 2009
- The Wired World in 2015: The Search for Purpose Begins (pdf), November, 2014.
- The Atlantic: Health Tip: Find Purpose in Life, November 3, 2014
- Michigan Alumnus: Living With Purpose [pdf], Summer 2014
- Stateside: This father shares the lessons he learned after losing a child, (audio) April 21, 2014
- Wall Street Journal: Why You Need a Purpose in Life, March 30, 2014
- Michigan Today: On Purpose, March 4, 2014
- Huffington Post: From Chaos to Transcending Purpose, December 17, 2013
- HopeLab.org: Why Purpose is a Prescription for Health, December 16, 2013
- World Wise Beauty: Lessons in Life and Health from a Frog and a Dung Beetle? Q&A With Vic Strecher PhD & Inspirational Author of the Graphic Novel "On Purpose", December 4, 2013
- The Takeaway: Does Finding Purpose have Health Benefits?, (audio) April 1, 2013
- TedMed: Visionaries: Vic Strecher says living with purpose inspires good health, March 27, 2013
U-M SPH Contact Information
Terri Mellow, Senior Media Strategist
For SPH experts on these and many more topics, see the Experts List.