Explore the Bachelor's of Public Health

Do I have to complete the required classes by the time of my application?

  • All admission requirements must be completed before beginning the program in fall term.
  • Prospective external transfer students who have not taken a course that will fulfill the STATS 250 or PUBHLTH 200 requirements can complete those in their first semester at the School of Public Health, if admitted. However, students who complete the admission requirements are more competitive applicants so we can help them find courses at a nearby institution if they are interested.

I am a prospective freshman (current high school senior) interested in applying to the program, can I apply now?

  • No, the program is designed for upper-level students. Prospective students apply during their sophomore year (deadline of February 1), and admitted students complete their degree in the School of Public Health during their junior and senior years.
  • If you plan to apply to the University of Michigan now, you can apply to any college or school that would provide you with exposure to a breadth of course work, including the courses which meet the admission requirements would be appropriate.

Can I pursue a dual degree?

No, we currently are not allowing students to pursue a dual degree. However, students admitted to this program may pursue a minor in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts or the Stephen M. Ross School of Business. Additional minors will be considered upon request.

Is there a public health minor?

No, we currently do not have a minor in Public Health. However, you are free to take as many undergraduate courses in public health as you would like, even if your major is not public health.

Can I take undergraduate courses in the School of Public Health even if I'm not a public health major?

Yes! We welcome students from across campus to take our undergraduate classes, and will continue to do so after the public health major has been launched.

Can students in this program study abroad?

Yes, students may study abroad but must do so in the spring/summer terms. Visit our study abroad page for more information and resources.