- Dr. Lisabeth is Professor of Epidemiology in the School of Public Health at the University of Michigan and Research Professor of Neurology at the University of Michigan Medical School. Dr. Lisabeth studies the epidemiology of stroke in the United States with a focus on stroke health disparities in the Mexican American population. She conducts population-based stroke surveillance in a bi-ethnic community in south Texas, where data collection has been ongoing since 2000. Dr. Lisabeth received her PhD in Epidemiologic Science and MPH in Biostatistics from the University of Michigan. Dr. Lisabeth has been involved in strategic planning efforts for the National Institute for Neurologic Disorders and Stroke surrounding the advancement of stroke research and the elimination of stroke disparities. She has also participated in numerous activities for the American Heart Association (AHA) including chairing the Statistics Committee for the AHA Heart and Stroke Statistics Update and serving as an invited author for the AHA statement on the Factors Influencing to Decline in Stroke Mortality and the AHA Guidelines for the Primary Prevention of Stroke in Women.
- Ph.D., University of Michigan, 2003
- M.P.H., University of Michigan, 1997
- B.S., University of Michigan, 1995
Research Interests & Projects
Dr. Lisabeth is a stroke epidemiologist with a focus on stroke health disparities. She co-leads a large research team that has published numerous original, peer-reviewed publications delineating stroke health disparities in the Mexican American population, investigating stroke outcomes, describing important clinical aspects of stroke, improving the methods used to study stroke, and studying post-stroke sleep apnea.
Lisabeth LD, Sánchez BN, Baek J, Skolarus LE, Smith MA, Garcia N, Brown DL, Morgenstern LB. Neurological, Functional, and Cognitive Stroke Outcomes in Mexican Americans. Stroke 2014; 45:1096-1101.
Patel RC, Baek J, Smith MA, Morgenstern LB, Lisabeth LD. Residential Ethnic Segregation and Stroke Risk in Mexican Americans: the Brain Attack Surveillance in Corpus Christi Project. Ethn Dis 2015;25:11-18. PMID: 25812246
Lisabeth LD, Reeves MJ, Baek J, Skolarus LE, Brown DL, Zahuranec DB, Smith MA, Morgenstern LB. Factors Influencing Sex Differences in Post-stroke Functional Outcome. Stroke 2015;46:860-863. PMID: 25633999; PMCID: PMC4342324
Lisabeth LD, Sánchez BN, Escobar JD, Hughes R, Meurer WJ, Zuniga B, Garcia N, Brown DL, Morgenstern LB. (2010). The food environment in an urban Mexican American community. Health and Place 598-605.
Lisabeth LD, Brown DL, Hughes R, Majersik JJ, Morgenstern LB. (2009). Acute Stroke Symptoms Comparing Women and Men. Stroke 2031-2036.
Brown DL, Feskanich D, Sanchez BN, Rexrode KM, Schernhammer ES, Lisabeth LD. (2009). Rotating Night Shift Work and Risk of Ischemic Stroke. American Journal of Epidemiology 1370-1377.
Reeves M, Bhatt A, Jajou P, Brown M, Lisabeth LD. (2009). Sex Differences in the Use of Intravenous rt-PA Thrombolysis Treatment for Acute Ischemic Stroke. A Meta-Analysis. Stroke 1743-1749.
Lisabeth LD, Diez-Roux, A.V., Escobar, J.D., Smith, M.A., Morgenstern, L.B. (2007). Neighborhood Environments and Risk of Ischemic Stroke: The Brain Attack Surveillance in Corpus Christi Project (BASIC). American Journal of Epidemiology 279-287.
Lisabeth LD, Smith MA, Brown DL, Moy? LA, Risser JMH, Morgenstern LB (2006). Ethnic Differences in Stroke Recurrence Annals of Neurology 469-475.
Lisabeth LD, Risser JMH, Brown DL, Al-Senani F, Uchino K, Smith MA, Garcia N, Longwell PJ, McFarling DA, Al-Wabil A, Akuwumi O, Moye LA, Morgenstern LB. (2006). Stroke Burden in Mexican Americans: The Impact of Mortality Following Stroke. Annals of Epidemiology 33-40.
Lisabeth LD, Smith MA, Brown DL, Uchino K, Morgenstern LB. (2005). Family History and Stroke Outcome in a Bi-ethnic, Population-based Stroke Surveillance Study. BMC Neurology 20.
Smith MA, Lisabeth LD, Brown DL, Morgenstern LB. (2005). Gender Comparisons of Diagnostic Evaluation for Ischemic Stroke Patients. Neurology 855-858.
Brown DL, Lisabeth LD, Garcia NM, Smith MA, Morgenstern LB. (2004). Emergency Department Evaluation of Ischemic Stroke and TIA: The BASIC Project. Neurology 2250-2254.
- American Heart Association, Stroke and Epidemiology and Prevention Council
- Society for Epidemiologic Research
- American College of epidemiology