Aruna V. Sarma, PhD, M.H.A.
- Chief & Professor, Dow Division of Health Services Research, Department of Urology, Michigan Medicine
- Research Professor, Epidemiology
- 1500 E Medical Center Drive
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109
Dr. Sarma received her PhD in Epidemiologic Science from the University of Michigan, and her post-doctoral training at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. She then returned to University of Michigan as a faculty member in Urology where she is currently Chief and Professor of the Dow Division of Health Services Research.
PhD, , University of Michigan, 1999
M.H.A., , Indiana University, 1994
B.S., , Indiana University, 1992
- Epidemiology of benign urologic conditions
- Urologic complications of diabetes
- Racial disparities in benign prostatic hyperplasia and prostate cancer
- Sarma AV, Wei JT: Clinical Practice. Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia and Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms. N. Engl. J. Med. 367(3): 248-257, 2012.
- Sarma AV, St Sauver JL, Jacobson DJ, McGree ME, Klee GG, Lieber MM, Girman CJ, Hollingsworth JM, Jacobsen SJ. Racial Differences in Longitudinal Changes in Serum Prostate-Specific Antigen Levels: The Olmsted County Study and The Flint Men's Health Study Urology 83(1): 88-93, 2014.
- Sarma AV, Hotaling J, Dunn RL, Cleary PA, Braffett BH, Kim C, Martin C, Herman W, Gatcomb P, Jacobson AM, Holt SK, Wessells H. Poor Glycemic Control is Associated with Reduced prostate-specific Antigen Concentrations in Men with Type 1 Diabetes Journal of Urology 193(3): 786-793, 2015.
- Pop-Busui R, Hotaling J, Braffett BH, Cleary PA, Dunn RL, Martin CL, Jacobson AM, Wessells H, Sarma AV. Cardiovascular Autonomic Neuropathy, Erectile Dysfunction and Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms in Men With Type 1 Diabetes: Findings From The DCCT/EDIC Journal of Urology 193(6): 2045-2051, 2015.
- Jacobson AM, Braffett BH, Cleary PA, Dunn RL, Larkin ME, Wessells H, Sarma AV. DCCT/EDIC Research Group.: Relationship of Urologic Complications with Health-Related Quality of Life and Perceived Value of Health in Men and Women with Type 1 Diabetes: The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial/Epidemiology of Interventions and Complications (DCCT/EDIC) cohort. Diabetes Care 38(10): 1904-12, 2015.
- Lenherr SM, Clemens JQ, Braffett BH, Dunn RL, Cleary PA, Kim C, Herman WH, Hotaling JM, Jacobson AM, Brown JS, Wessells H, Sarma AV. DCCT/EDIC Research Group.: Glycaemic Control and Risk of Incident Urinary Incontinence in Women with Type 1 Diabetes: Results from the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial and Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications (DCCT/EDIC) study. Diabet Med 33(11): 1528-1535, 2016.
- Lenherr SM, Clemens JQ, Braffett BH, Cleary PA, Dunn RL, Hotaling JM, Jacobson AM, Kim C, Herman W, Brown JS, Wessells H, Sarma AV. DCCT/EDIC Research Group.: Glycemic Control and Urinary Tract Infections in Women with Type 1 Diabetes: Results from the DCCT/EDIC. J Urol 196(4): 1129-35, 2016.
- Kim C, Dunn RL, Braffett B, Cleary PA, Arends V, Steffes M, Lanham MS, Randolph JF, Wessells H, Wellons MF, Sarma AV. EDIC Research Group.: Ovarian reserve in women with Type 1 diabetes in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications Study. Diabet Med 33(5): 691-2, 2016.
- Braffett BH, Wessells H, Sarma AV. Urogenital Autonomic Dysfunction in Diabetes. Curr Diab Rep 16(12): 119, 2016.
- Sarma AV, Townsend MK, Grodstein F, Breyer BN, Brown JS: Urologic Complications of Diabetes. Diabetes in America. National Diabetes 3rd Edition. Data Group National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, 2013.
- American Urological Association
- American Diabetes Association
- Society for Epidemiologic Research
- American College of Epidemiology