2017 New Graduate Student Orientation
The Week of Monday August 28 – Friday September 1, 2017
All incoming students (MPH, MHSA, MS, and PhD) are required to attend the School of Public Health Orientation. Incoming Public Health Undergraduate students are invited to attend the Wednesday morning portion. Below is a rough outline of what will be offered during orientation.
- Lunch will be provided to participants on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday
- Please bring your reusable water bottle for lunch, water coolers will be stationed in each building
MCard: If you upload your photo before August 14th, your MCard will be available for pick-up at orientation on Monday, August 28. If you submit a photo through SPH you can only pick it up at SPH orientation. If you would like your MCard before orientation, please DO NOT submit a photo to the above link and visit an MCard Issuing Station instead. If you submit a photo through Rackham, then your M-Card will only be available at Rackham's orientation.
Students will receive a customized agenda by Wednesday August 23rd
Friday, August 25 – Incoming International MPH, MHSA, MHI, and Public Health Undergraduate students only
- Incoming MPH, MHSA, MHI, and Public Health Undergraduate International Students must attend International Student Check-In. Check-in will be at 9am in 1690 in SPH Building 1. If you are not sponsored by the University of Michigan on a F1 or J1 visa you do not need to attend.
- International Student Orientation 11:00-2:00
- All MS/PhD International students will check-in via Rackham Graduate School and the International Center.
Monday, August 28
- Welcome session in Room M1020 featuring Dana Thomas from the SPH Practice Office and an introduction to a cultural awareness activity (9:00-10:00)
- Change It Up!, bystander intervention activity (10:00-12:00)
- MCard pick-up will be available during lunch (11:30-1:00)
- After lunch, exams for incoming students (1:00-3:00)
- All students are able to take the Algebra exam if they would like to be eligible for Biostatistics core course tutoring in the fall.
- Only students who earned a 49% or below GRE Quantitative score will be required to take the Algebra exam. Those students will be notified separately.
- Students can also take a Biostatistic exemption exam at this time to test out of the Biostat core course.
- Students can sign-up for all exams in the orientation registration form.
Tuesday, August 29
- Practice Plunge Challenge: MPH and MHSA students will participate in the Practice Plunge Challenge. The Challenge is an exciting way for students to learn about a key foundational public health learning objective - the 10 essential public health services. In teams, students will race around the University of Michigan campus solving clues, answering questions and performing activities related to the essential services. The first team to arrive back at SPH will be rewarded. Check your schedule for your starting time. On the day of the Practice Plunge Challenge, students should come prepared for the weather and wear comfortable shoes. Lunch will be provided. The Practice Plunge Challenge is optional for all MS and Ph.D. students.
Wednesday, August 30
- Continental breakfast at 8:00am
- SPH School-wide sessions in the morning. Students will have an opportunity to hear from the Assistant Dean for Student Engagement and Practice, Director of Student Affairs, and the Director of Career Development to learn about the services offered from the Office for Student Engagement and Practice (8:30-10:00)
- UM-Resource Fair (10:00-12:00) Students are invited to the Community Room (1680) to learn about various University offices and departments. A second fair featuring SPH-specific resources and student organizations will be held at the beginning of the term.
- Certificate Information Session (1:00-3:00) room 1755 - Optional
Certificate in Global Health with Chinyere Neale
Certificate in Injury Science with Sarah Stoddard
Certificate in Health Informatics with Annie Knill
Certificate in Public Health Genetics with Scott Roberts
Certificate in Risk Science and Human Health with Rick Neitzel
Certificate in Health Care Infection Prevention and Control with Betsy Foxman (pre-recorded video)
- SPH Family Friendly Movie Night (6:00-7:30) room 1755 - Optional
Thursday, August 31
- Department Day- Your admitting department will develop sessions and activities to highlight their programs and get you involved with the departmental community.
Friday, September 1
- Rackham Orientation for all MS/PhD Students
- Exemption exams makeups (10:00-12:00) - Optional
- PhD Luncheon (12:00-1:00) PhD students will be emailed a registration link directly. - Optional
- First Generation Student Mixer (12:00-1:00) - Optional
Questions about Orientation? Contact Charlie Dill, Admissions Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org