2018 New Graduate Student Orientation
The Week of Monday, August 27 – Friday, August 31, 2018
All incoming students (MPH, MHSA, MS, and PhD) are required to attend the School of Public Health Orientation. Incoming Public Health Undergraduate students are invited to attend the Wednesday morning portion. Below is a rough outline of what will be offered during orientation.
Friday, August 24 – Incoming International MPH, MHSA, MHI, and Public Health Undergraduate students only
- Incoming MPH, MHSA, MHI, and Public Health Undergraduate International Students are required to attend International Student Check-In at 9 a.m. in 1690 in SPH Building 1. If you are not sponsored by the University of Michigan on a F1 or J1 visa you do not need to attend.
- All MS/PhD International students will check-in via Rackham Graduate School and the International Center.
Monday, August 27
- Welcome Session and an introduction to a cultural awareness activity
- Change It Up!, a bystander intervention activity
- M Card pick-up will be available during lunch
- Exams for incoming students
- All students are able to take the Algebra exam if they would like to be eligible for Biostatistics core course tutoring in the fall.
- Only students who earned a 49% or below GRE Quantitative score will be required to take the Algebra exam. Those students will be notified separately.
- Students can also take a Biostatistic exemption exam at this time to test out of the Biostat core course.
- Students can sign-up for all exams in the orientation registration form.
Tuesday, August 28
- Practice Plunge Challenge: MPH and MHSA students will participate in the Practice Plunge Challenge. The Challenge is an exciting way for students to learn about a key foundational public health learning objective - the 10 essential public health services. In teams, students will race around the University of Michigan campus solving clues, answering questions and performing activities related to the essential services. The first team to arrive back at SPH will be rewarded. Your starting time will be included in your personalized schedule. On the day of the Practice Plunge Challenge, students should come prepared for the weather and wear comfortable shoes. Lunch will be provided. The Practice Plunge Challenge is optional for all MS and Ph.D. students.
Wednesday, August 29
- Continental breakfast
- School-Wide Welcome Students from SPH Leadership
- UM Resource Fair- Students are invited to learn about various University offices and departments. A second fair featuring SPH-specific resources and student organizations will be held at the beginning of the term.
- PhD Lunch
- First Generation Student Mixer
Thursday, August 30
- Department Day- Your admitting department will develop sessions and activities to highlight their programs and get you involved with the departmental community.
Friday, September 31
- Exemption exams makeups
Please bring your reusable water bottle for lunch, water coolers will be stationed in each building.
Questions about Orientation? Connect with Admissions Coordinator Kristen McCarthy, email@example.com