Jeffrey Alexander is the Richard Carl Jelinek Professor of Health Management and Policy. His teaching and research interests focus on organizational change in the health care sector, multi-institutional systems, governance and physician participation in institutional management and policy-making.
Before coming to the University of Michigan, Dr. Alexander taught in a number of academic settings including the University of California-Berkeley, Northwestern University, and the University of Alabama-Birmingham. He also served as Assistant Director and Senior Researcher at the Hospital Research and Educational Trust, an affiliate of the American Hospital Association.
- PhD, Sociology (Organization Theory), Stanford University, 1980
- M.A., Sociology, Stanford University, 1978
- M.S., Health Services Administration, Stanford University, 1976
- B.A., History, University of Texas, 1969
Research Interests & Projects
Dr. Alexander's research includes studies of physician-system alignment, governance of public-private community health partnerships, organization and staffing practices in mental health delivery settings, and the effects of managed care on drug abuse treatment practices.
- Nembhard, I. M., Alexander, J.A, Hoff, T., & Ramanujam, R. (2009). Understanding implementation failure in health care delivery: A role for organizational research and theory. Academy of Management Perspectives 1-27.
- Alexander, J.A., Lee, S., Wang, V., & Margolin, F. (2009). Changes in the monitoring and oversight practices of NFP Hospital Governing Boards 1989-2005: Evidence from three national surveys. Medical Care Research and Review 181-196.
- Alexander, J.A, Hearld, L., Young, G., & Weiner, B. (2009). How do system affiliated hospitals fare in providing community benefit? Inquiry 238-251.
- Campbell, C., Alexander, J.A., & Lemak, C.H. (2009). Organizational determinants of women's duration in substance abuse treatment. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 307-319.
- Alexander, J.A., & Hearld, L. (2009). What can we learn from quality improvement research?: A critical review of research methods. Medical Care Research and Review 235-271.
- Damschroder, L., Aron, D., Keith, R., Kirsch, S., Alexander, J., & Lowry, J. (2009). Fostering implementation of health services research findings into practice: A consolidated framework for advancing implementation science. Implementation Science 543-555.
- Alexander J.A., & Hearld, L. (). Quality improvement research: Capturing the effects of organizational context and process in implementation. Medical Care (accepted for publication).
- Alexander, J.A., Hearld, L., Scanlon, D., Hurley, R., & Christiansen, J. (). Issues and challenges of capacity building in regional health alliances. Health Education and Behavior (accepted for publication).
- Member, American Public Health Association
- Member, American Sociological Association (Medical Sociology Section)
- Member, Association for Health Services Research Academy of Management