Ella T. August, PhD, M.A., M.S.
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Epidemiology
- Editor-in-Chief, Pre-Publication Support Service ("PREPSS")
- Global Public Health, Faculty Associate
- SPH II
- 1415 Washington Heights
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2029
Ella August, PhD, MA, MS, is a faculty member in the University of Michigan School of Public Health and the Editor-in-Chief of PREPSS (Pre-Publication Support Service), which supports researchers across the globe in publishing their work in peer-reviewed journals. Dr. August’s research investigates how to teach writing effectively in public health and also seeks to better understand how to strengthen capacity for research publications. PREPSS has worked with clients across Africa, in Asia and the Americas.
- Epid 530: Scientific Communication for Epidemiologists (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020)
- Epid 604: Writing Advisor (2020)
- PUBHLTH 680: Applied Practice and Integrative Experience (2020)
- PUBHLTH 681: Applied Practice and Integrative Experience II (2021)
- Doctor of Philosophy, Epidemiology, 2005, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
- Master of Arts, Written Communication, 2017, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, Michigan
- Writing Fellow, and Advanced Writing Fellow, 2015, Writing Across the Curriculum Institute, Advanced, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, Michigan
- Master of Science, Human Nutrition, 1999, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois li>
- Bachelor of Arts, English, 1991, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
- Anderson O, Youatt E, Power L, August E. Clinical track faculty: making them count in public health education. American Journal of Public Health. 2021;111(1):30-32.
- Busse C, August E. How to write a publishable research paper for a peer-reviewed journal. Invited Paper. Journal of Cancer Education. 2020 http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13187-020-01751-z.
- Busse C, August E. Addressing power imbalances in global health: Pre-Publication Support Services (PREPSS) for authors in low-income and middle-income countries. Invited Practice Paper. BMJ Global Health 2020. 5:e002323. doi:10.1136/bmjgh-2020-002323
- Anderson OS, August E. The Real-World Writing Project for Public Health Students: A Description and Evaluation. Pedagogy in Health Promotion. 2020 https://doi.org/10.1177/2373379920928094
- Anderson OS, August E. A disconnect between classroom and professional writing: we are not teaching public health students to write effective titles. Journal of Public Health 2020: 42(2): 412–415. https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fdaa034.
- Anderson OS, Kardia S, Gupta K, August E. Are we teaching our students visual communication? Evaluation of writing assignments in public health. Journal of Visual Communication in Medicine. 2019. DOI: 10.1080/17453054.2019.1698943
- August E, Burke KJ, Fleischer C, Trostle J. Writing assignments in epidemiology courses: how many and how good? Public Health Reports. 2019;134(4):441-446. https://doi.org/10.1177/0033354919849942
- August E, Trostle J. Using writing assignments to promote critical thinking, learning and professional identity: The Epidemiology Workplace Writing Repository. Journal of Public Health Published January 30, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fdy011.
American Public Health Association
Council of Science Editors