Angela J. Beck, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- Clinical Assistant Professor
- Director, Behavioral Health Workforce Research Center
- Associate Director, Center of Excellence in Public Health Workforce Studies
- Assistant Dean for Student Engagement and Practice
- 1706 SPH I
- 1420 Washington Heights
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2029
Dr. Beck is Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Health Behavior and Health Education. She serves as Director of the Behavioral Health Workforce Research Center and Associate Director of the Center of Excellence in Public Health Workforce Studies. She has held research and administrative roles for several UMSPH programs since 2005, including the Center for Public Health Preparedness and the Preventive Medicine Residency. Prior to her appointment at UMSPH, she served as a Public Health Fellow at the Health Resources and Services Administration.
- Ph.D., Health Behavior and Health Education, University of Michigan, 2012
- M.P.H., Health Behavior and Health Education, University of Michigan, 2003
- B.S., Physiology, Michigan State University, 1999
Research Interests & Projects
Dr. Beck's research interests include organizational performance of public health departments, health workforce planning, population health outcomes, program evaluation, and delivery of mental health and substance use disorder services to vulnerable and underserved populations. She serves as Principal Investigator of a federally-funded Health Workforce Research Center focused on behavioral health and has participated in numerous studies related to size, composition and capacity of the public health workforce as part of the Center of Excellence in Public Health Workforce Studies. Dr. Beck also serves as Assistant Editor for the American Journal of Preventive Medicine.
- Beck A.J., Hirth R.A., Rahrig Jenkins K., Sleeman K.K., Zhang W. (2016). Factors Associated
With Participation in a University Worksite Wellness Program. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 51(1), e1-e20.
- Beck A.J., Boulton M.L. (2016). Public health nurse workforce in state and local health
departments, 2012. Public Health Reports, 131(1),145-152.
- Beck A.J., Meit M., Heffernan M., Boulton M.L. (2015). Application of a taxonomy to
characterize the public health workforce. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, 21(6Supp),S36-S45.
- Beck, A.J., Boulton, M.L. (2015). Trends and characteristics of the state and local public health workforce, 2010-2013 American Journal of Public Health, 105(Supp2),S303-S310.
- Beck A.J., Boulton M.L., Coronado F. (2014). Enumeration of the governmental public health workforce, 2014. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 47(5Suppl3), S306-S313.
- Boulton M.L., Beck A.J., Coronado F., Merrill J.A., Friedman C.P. et al. (2014). Public health workforce taxonomy. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 47(5Suppl3),S314-S323.
- Beck, A.J., Boulton, M.L. (2014). Predictors of capacity in public health, environmental and agricultural laboratories. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, 20(6),654-661.
- Beck, A.J., Sarigiannis, A.N., Thomas, D.L., Montgomery, J.P., Boulton, M.L. (2013). Promoting practice in public health academia: assessing impact on student education. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, 19(3),205-212.
- Boulton, M.L., Beck, A.J., DeBoy, J., Kim, D. (2013). National assessment of capacity in public health, environmental and agricultural laboratories- United States, 2011. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 62(9),161-164.
- DeBoy J.M., Beck A.J., Boulton M.L., Kim D.H., Wichman M.D., Luedtke P.F. (2013). Core courses in public health laboratory science and practice: findings from 2006 and 2011 surveys. Public Health Reports, 128(S2),105-114.
- Beck, A.J., Boulton, M.L. (2012). Building an effective workforce: a systematic review of public health workforce literature. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 42(5S1),S6-S16.
- Beck, A.J., Boulton, M.L., Lemmings, J., Clayton, J. (2012). Challenges to recruitment and retention of the state health department epidemiology workforce. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 42(1),76-80.
- American Public Health Association
- Great Lakes Chapter-Society for Public Health Education
- Council of Science Editors