Angela J. Beck, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- Clinical Assistant Professor
- Assistant Dean for Student Engagement and Practice
- Director, Behavioral Health Workforce Research Center
- Director, Public Health Training Center
- 1706 SPH I
- 1420 Washington Heights
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2029
Dr. Beck is Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Health Behavior and Health Education. She serves as Director of the Behavioral Health Workforce Research Center and the Region V Public Health Training Center. She has held research and administrative roles for several UMSPH programs since 2005. Prior to her appointment at UMSPH, she served as a Public Health Fellow at the Health Resources and Services Administration. She has served as Assistant Dean for Student Engagement and Practice since 2017 and chairs the school's accreditation efforts.
- HBEHED 503: Introduction to Health Behavior Theory and Approaches
- HBHE 531: Psychosocial Aspects of Research: Data Collection and Threats to Validity
- Ph.D., Health Behavior and Health Education, University of Michigan, 2012
- M.P.H., Health Behavior and Health Education, University of Michigan, 2003
- B.S., Physiology, Michigan State University, 1999
Research Interests & Projects
Dr. Beck's research interests include organizational performance of public health departments, health workforce planning, population health outcomes, program evaluation, and delivery of mental health and substance use disorder services to vulnerable and underserved populations. She serves as Principal Investigator of a federally-funded Health Workforce Research Center focused on behavioral health and has participated in numerous studies related to size, composition and capacity of the public health workforce as part of the Center of Excellence in Public Health Workforce Studies. Dr. Beck also serves as Assistant Editor for the American Journal of Preventive Medicine.
- Beck AJ, Leider JP, Coronado F, Harper E. (2017). State health agency and local health department workforce: identifying top development needs. American Journal of Public Health, 107(9):1418-1424.
- Beck AJ, Coronado F, Boulton ML, Merrill J. (2017). The public health workforce taxonomy: revisions and recommendations for implementation. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice (in press).
- Harper E, Leider JP, Coronado F, Beck AJ. (2017). Succession planning in state health agencies in the United States: a brief report. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice (accepted).
- Leider JP, Coronado F, Beck AJ, Harper E. (2018). Reconciling supply and demand for state and local public health staff in an era of retiring baby boomers. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 54(3):334-340.
- Beck AJ, Singer PM, Buche J, Manderscheid RW, Buerhaus P. (2018). Improving data for behavioral health workforce planning: development of a minimum data set. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 54(6 Suppl3):S192-S198.
- American Public Health Association
- Great Lakes Chapter-Society for Public Health Education
- Council of Science Editors