Thomas Buchmueller, PhD
- Waldo O. Hildebrand Professor of Risk Management and Insurance; Professor of Business Economics and Public Policy
- Stephen M. Ross School of Business
- 701 Tappan St., R4350
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2029
Tom Buchmueller is a health economist whose research focuses on the economics of health insurance and related public policy issues. His recent work has examined the relationship between employer-sponsored insurance and labor market outcomes, interactions between the public sector and private insurance markets and consumer demand for health insurance. Before joining the Ross School faculty, Buchmueller was Professor of Economics and Public Policy at the Paul Merage School of Business at the University of California, Irvine. He was a Packer Policy Fellow at the University of Technology, Sydney (2006-2007) and was a visiting researcher at the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco (2005-06), INSEAD (2001-2002), the Centre de Recherche d'Edtude et de Documentation en Economie de la Sante' (2001-2002) and the University of York (1997).
- PhD, , University of Wisconsin,
- BA, , Carleton College,
- Tom Buchmueller is a core faculty member in the Child Health Evaluation and Research Unit. He is a Research Associate of the National Bureau of Economic Research. He is an editor of the Berkeley Electronic Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy, a co-editor of the Journal of Economics and Management Strategy and is on the editorial board of Inquiry.
- Buchmueller, T. (2008). Community Rating, Entry-Age Rating and Adverse Selection in Private Health Insurance in Australia. Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance: Issues and Practice.
- Buchmueller, T., Glied, S.A., Royalty, A., Swartz, K. (2008). Cost and Coverage Implications of the McCain Plan to Restructure Health Insurance. Health Affairs 478-481.
- Buchmueller, T., van den Berg, B., Van Dommelemen, P., Stam, P., Laske-Aldershof, T., Schut, F. (2008). Preferences and Choices for Care and Health Insurance. Social Science & Medicine 2448-2459.
- Buchmueller, T., LoSasso, A., Wong, K. (2008). How did SCHIP affect the Insurance Coverage of Immigrant Children? Advances in Economic Analysis & Policy.
- Editorial Board Inquiry (2003-)
- Co-Editor Journal of Economics and Management Strategy (2004-)
- Editor Berkeley Electronic Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy (2008-)
- Chair AcademyHealth, Health Economics Interest Group (2007-2008)
- Deputy Editor Medical Care (2002-2006)