Cathleen M Connell, PhD
Dr. Connell is a Professor in Health Behavior and Health Education and the Interim Chair of Health Management and Policy in the School of Public Health. Her research focuses on the psychological and social context of chronic disease self-management and dementia caregiving.
- HBEHED628 Chronic Illness Interventions: Midlife to Older Adulthood
- HBEHED630: Aging and Health Behavior
- PhD, Human Development and Family Studies, The Pennsylvania State University, 1986
- M.S., Human Development and Family Studies, The Pennsylvania State University, 1983
- B.A., Psychology, Juniata College, 1980
Research Interests & Projects
Dr. Connell's research interests include chronic disease self-management, dementia family caregiving; knowledge and attitudes about dementia and dementia diagnosis; the role of physical activity in heart disease and diabetes self-management ; the role of pets in the support networks of older adults; the impact of older adults' life transitions (e.g., driving reduction and cessation) on family caregiving; and using art as a means to retain identity in the case of dementia.
She currently serves as PI for a project entitled “A Partnership to Translate an Evidence-Based Intervention for Vulnerable Older Adults with Heart Disease.” This R01 was funded by NIA in response to the NIA PA entitled “Translational Research to Help Older Adults Maintain their Health and Independence in the Community.” As part of this randomized controlled trial, her research team will offer an evidence-based heart disease self-management intervention to low income primarily African American older adults in Detroit. Community partners include the Rosa Parks Geriatric Center at the Detroit Medical Center and the Detroit Area Agency on Aging.
- Ramsay, J., Janevic. M. J., Hogan, C., Edwards, D., & Connell, C. M (2018). Using
the replicating effective programs framework to adapt a heart health intervention. Health Promotion Practice. doi.org/10.1177/1524839918775740
- Ostergren, J. E., Heeringa, S. G., Mendes deLeon, C. F., Connell, C. M, & Roberts,
S. (2017). The influence of psychosocial and cognitive factors on perceived threat
of Alzheimer's disease among a representative sample of U.S. adults. American Journal
of Alzheimer's Disease and Other Dementias, 32, 289-299.
- Vivoda, J., Heeringa, S. G., Schulz, A. J., Grengs, J., & Connell, C. M (2016). The influence of the transportation environment on driving reduction and cessation. The Gerontologist, doi: 10.1093/geront/gnw088
- McLaughlin, S., Janevic, M. R., & Connell, C. M. (2016). Gender differences in trajectories of physical activity among older Americans with diabetes. Journal of Aging and Health, 28, 460-480 doi: 10.1177/0898264315594136/jah.sagepublcom
- Bluhm, M., Connell, C. M, DeVries, R. G., Janz, N. K., Bickel, K. E., & Silveira, M. J. (2016). Paradox of prescribing late chemotherapy: Oncologists explain. Journal of Oncology Practice, doi:10.1200/JOP.2016.013995
- Bluhm, M., Connell, C. M, Janz, N. K., Bickel, K., DeVries, R. & Silveira, M. J. (2015). Oncologists'end of life treatment decisions: How much does patient age matter? Journal of Applied Gerontology, doi: 10.1177/0733464815595510/jag.sagepub.com
- Roberts, J. S., McLaughlin, S. J., & Connell, C. M. (2014). Public knowledge and beliefs about risk and protective factors for Alzheimer's disease. Alzheimer's and Dementia: The Journal of the Alzheimer's Association. 3, doi:10.1016/j.jalz.2013.07.001
- Rosland, A. M., Heisler, M., Janevic, M. R., Connell, C. M, Langa, K. M., Kerr, E. A., & Piette, J. D. (2013). Current and potential support for chronic disease management in the United States: The perspective of family and friends of chronically ill adults. Families, Systems, and Health. 31, 119-131. [PMC 3762580]
- Janevic, M. R., McLaughlin, S. J., & Connell, C. M. (2013). The association of diabetes complications with physical activity in a representative sample of older adults in the United States. Chronic Illness, 9, 251-257. doi: 10.1177/1742395313475461
- Connell, C. M, Harmon, A., Janevic, M. R., & Kostyniuk, L. (2013). Older adults' driving reduction and cessation: Perspectives of adult children. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 32, 975-996.
- McLaughlin, S. J., Jette, A., & Connell, C. M. (2012). An examination of healthy aging across a conceptual continuum: Prevalence estimates, demographic patterns, and validity. Journal of Gerontology: Biological Science and Medical Sciences, 67, 783-789. [PMC3536546]
- Janevic, M. R., Rosland, A. M., Wiitala, W., Connell, C. M, & Piette, J. D. (2012). Providing support to relatives and friends managing both chronic physical illness and depression: The view of a national sample of U.S. adults. Patient Education and Counseling, 89, 191-198. [PMC3462282]
- Janevic, M. R., Janz, N., Connell, C. M, Kaciroti, N., & Clark, N. M. (2011). Progression of symptoms and functioning among female cardiac patients with and without diabetes. Journal of Women's Health, 20, 107-115. [PMC3052276]
- McLaughlin, S. J., Connell, C. M, Li, W., Heeringa, S. G., & Roberts, J. S. (2010). Successful aging in the United States: Prevalence estimates from a nationally-representative sample of older adults. Journal of Gerontology: Social Sciences, 65B, 216-226. [PMC3981444]
- Connell, C. M & Janevic, M. (2009). Effects of a telephone-based exercise intervention for dementia caregiving wives: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 28, 171-194. [PMC3121165]
- Connell, C. M, Janevic, M. R., Solway, E., & McLaughlin, S. (2007). Are pets a source of support or added burden for married couples facing dementia? Journal of Applied Gerontology, 26, 472-485.
- 1986-Present: Gerontological Society of America