Chris M. Coombe, Ph.D, M.P.H.
- Assistant Research Scientist, Health Behavior & Health Education
- 2786 SPH I
- 1415 Washington Heights
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2029
Dr. Coombe is an Assistant Research Scientist in the Department of Health Behavior and Health Education and is affiliated with the Detroit Community-Academic Urban Research Center (Detroit URC). She has extensive experience developing, implementing, and evaluating community-based interventions and initiatives using community-based participatory research (CBPR). Her work focuses on understanding how urban neighborhood environments affect health, and translating that knowledge into policy interventions. She is Principal Investigator of Neighborhoods Working in Partnership, which engages Detroit residents in policy advocacy to improve health, and is co-director of the Neighborhoods Taking Action program--a partnership approach to policy and systems change to improve high school graduation rates and health in Detroit. She develops curricula for both community members and academics in policy advocacy, CBPR, and health disparities research, and was lead faculty in developing the Summer Immersion Program in Health Disparities Research, Michigan Institute for Clinical and Health Research. Dr. Coombe's research interests include the social determinants of health, translating research findings into policies, building capacity of scholars and communities to engage in systems and policy change, and using health impact assessment (HIA) to improve health and eliminate health inequities.
- Postdoctoral Translational Scholar, NIH, Michigan Institute for Clinical and Health Research, University of Michigan, 2009-2011
- Ph.D., Health Behavior and Health Education, University of Michigan, 2007
- Predoctoral Traineeship, NIMH, Psychosocial Factors in Mental Health, University of Michigan, 2002-2005
- M.P.H., Community Health Sciences, University of California, Berkeley, 1996
- B.A., Social Welfare, Albright College, Reading, PA
Research Interests & Projects
- Social determinants of health
- Community-based participatory research
- Urban neighborhoods and health (economic, racial, residential, and land use patterns)
- Policy and systems change to promote health equity
- Health impact assessment
- Neighborhoods Working in Partnership: Building Capacity for Policy Change
- Neighborhoods Taking Action: A Partnership Approach to Policy and Systems Change to Improve High School Graduation Rates and Health in Detroit
- Environmental Health Science Center-Community Outreach and Education Core
- Coombe, C.M., Israel, B.A., Reyes, A., Clement, J., Grant, S., Lichtenstein, R., Schulz, A., Smith, S. (2017). Strengthening community capacity in Detroit to influence policy change for health equity. Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning. 23(2), 101-116.
- Goold, S., Rowe, Z., Calhoun, K., Campbell, T., Danis, M., Hammad, A., ... & Coombe, C.M. (2016). The State as community in community-based participatory research. Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action, 10(4), 515-522.
- Israel, B.A., Coombe, C.M., McGranaghan, R., Brakefield-Caldwell, W., Guzman, R.J., Kieffer, E.C., et al. (2013). Community-based participatory research: A partnership approach for public health. CD-ROM. Community Engaged Scholarship for Health (CES4Health.info).
- Wiggins, N., Parajon, L., Coombe, C.M., Duldulao, A., Wang, P., Rodriguez Garcia, L. (2017). Participatory evaluation as a process of empowerment: Experiences with community health workers in the US and Latin America. In Wallerstein, N., Duran, B., Oetzel, J., Minkler, M., editors, Community-Based Participatory Research for Health, Third Edition, Jossey-Bass.
- Cheezum, R.R., Coombe, C.M., Israel, B.A., McGranaghan, R., Burris, A., O'Toole, A., Anderson, M. (2013). Building community capacity to advocate for policy change: An impact evaluation of the Neighborhoods Working in Partnership Project in Detroit.Journal of Community Practice228-247.
- Schulz, A.J., Israel, B.A., Coombe, C., Gaines, C., Reyes, A., Rowe, Z., Sand, S., Strong, L., Weir, S. (2011). A community-based participatory planning process and multilevel intervention design: Toward eliminating cardiovascular health inequities. Health Promotion Practice 900-911.
- Israel, B.A., Coombe, C.M., Cheezum, R.R., Schulz, A.J., McGranaghan, R.J., et al. (2010). Community-based participatory research: A capacity building approach for policy advocacy aimed at eliminating health disparities. American Journal of Public Health 2094-2102.
- American Public Health Association