My research and teaching interests lie at the intersection of public health, science and technology studies, and medical anthropology. I study the social, cultural, ethical, political and historic tensions of sickle cell disease (SCD) in both the United States and Brazil. In my most recent project, I analyze how frameworks of biology, social determinants, and policy respond to Brazilian cultural and historical ideas about race, health, identity, and legitimacy.
- HMP 626: Race, Ethnicity, and Culture in Health Policy
- PUBHLTH 381: Public Health Systems: Achievements and Challenges
- Laney Graduate School, Emory University | May 2016
Doctor of Philosophy, The Graduate Institute of Liberal Arts
- Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University | May 2004
Master of Public Health, Behavioral Sciences & Health Education
- Emory College, Emory University | May 2000
Bachelor of Science, Biology
Research Interests & Projects
Global health (Brazil), social movements, race, culture, and citizenship, sickle cell disease
- McDonald, M. A., M. S. Creary, J. Powell, L. A. Daley, C. Baker, and C. D. Royal. 2017. "Perspectives and Practices of Athletic Trainers and Team Physicians Implementing the 2010 NCAA Sickle Cell Trait Screening Policy." Journal of Genetic Counseling.
- Creary, Melissa S. 2017. "Biocultural citizenship and embodying exceptionalism: Biopolitics for sickle cell disease in Brazil." Social Science & Medicine.
- Hulihan M, Feuchtbaum L, Jordan L, Kirby R, Snyder A, Young W, et al. 2014. "State-based surveillance for selected hemoglobinopathies." Genetics in Medicine.
- Soucie, J. M., Miller, C. H., Kelly, F. M., Payne, A. B., Creary, M., Bockenstedt, P. L., ... & Neff, A. T. (2014). A study of prospective surveillance for inhibitors among persons with haemophilia in the United States. Haemophilia, 20(2), 230-237.
- Creary, M., & Eisen, A. (2013). Acknowledging Levels of Racism in the Definition of “Difficult”. The American Journal of Bioethics, 13(4), 16-18.
- Yusuf, H. R., Lloyd-Puryear, M. A., Grant, A. M., Parker, C. S., Creary, M. S., & Atrash, H. K. (2011). Sickle cell disease: the need for a public health agenda. American journal of preventive medicine, 41(6), S376-S383.
- Tanabe, P., Porter, J., Creary, M., Kirkwood, E., Miller, S., Ahmed-Williams, E., & Hassell, K. (2010). A qualitative analysis of best self-management practices: sickle cell disease. Journal of the National Medical Association, 102(11), 1033-1041.
- Boulet, S. L., Yanni, E. A., Creary, M. S., & Olney, R. S. (2010). Health status and healthcare use in a national sample of children with sickle cell disease. American journal of preventive medicine, 38(4), S528-S535.
- Creary, M., Williamson, D., & Kulkarni, R. (2007). Sickle cell disease: current activities, public health implications, and future directions. Journal of women's health, 16(5), 575-582.
- Creary, M. S., Soucie, J. M., Miller, C. H., Hooper, W. C., Abshire, T. C., Brettler, D. B., ... & Shapiro, A. D. (2007). US Inhibitor Pilot Project: Participant Characteristics and Infusion Log Adherence. Blood, 110(11), 1162-1162.
- Soucie, J. M., Miller, C. H., Creary, M., Hooper, W. C., Abshire, T. C., Brettler, D. B., ... & Shapiro, A. (2007). US Inhibitor Pilot Project: Study Design And Methods Validation.
- Hibbert, J. M., Creary, M. S., Gee, B. E., Buchanan, I. D., Quarshie, A., & Hsu, L. L. (2006). Erythropoiesis and myocardial energy requirements contribute to the hypermetabolism of childhood sickle cell anemia. Journal of pediatric gastroenterology and nutrition, 43(5), 680.
- Sayavongsa, S., Creary, M. S., Newman, G., Archer, D. R., Jackson, E., & Hibbert, J. M. (2006). A high protein diet decreases inflammation in a transgenic mouse model of sickle cell disease. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, 26(5), e-101.
- Hibbert, J. M., Hsu, L. L., Bhathena, S. J., Irune, I., Sarfo, B., Creary, M. S., ... & Stiles, J. K. (2005). Proinflammatory cytokines and the hypermetabolism of children with sickle cell disease. Experimental Biology and Medicine, 230(1), 68-74.
- Hsu, L. L., Creary, M., Jackson, E., Gee, B. E., Buchanan, I. D., & Hibbert, J. M. (2003, November). Increased cardiac output, protein and energy metabolism in children with sickle cell anemia (HbSS). Blood, 102(11), 120A-121A.
- American Anthropological Association
- American Public Health Association
- Latin American Studies Association
- Science and Democracy Network
- Society for Social Studies of Science