In the last few years, Dr. Ford's research has focused on several areas. First, she has conducted research on social and behavioral aspects of the AIDS epidemic in Thailand. A second area is the association of cognitive and physical functioning at midlife. A third area is migration in Southeast Asia and its associaiton with health and household welfare.
- B.A., Mathematics, Boston College, 1971
- Ph.D., Sociology/Population Studies, Brown University, 1975
Research Interests & Projects
Dr. Ford's current research includes several areas. Her research includes social and behavioral aspects of the AIDS epidemic with a recent focus on Thailand. Here she is studying the AIDS risk behaviors of migrant workers. A second area is migration, health and household welfare in Thailand. A third area is the welfare of the Muslim minority population in Thailand in Bangkok and the southern provinces.
- Ford Kathleen, Chamratrithirong Aphichat, Apipornchaisakul Kanya, Panichapak Promboon, Pinyosinwat T (2014). Social integration, AIDS Knowledge and factors related to HIV prevention among migrant workers in Thailand AIDS and Behavior 390-397.
- Ford, Kathleen, Aphichat Chamratrithirong (2012). Cross border migrants: Duration of residence and susceptibility to HIV infection. Journal of Migration, Health and Social Care. 127-134.
- Ford, Kathleen, Aphichat Chamratrithirong (2012). Midlife Sexuality among Thai Adults: Adjustment to Aging in the Thai Family Context. Culture and Sexuality 158-171.
- Ford K, Sowers MF, Seeman T, Greendale G, Everson S (2010). Cognitive and Physical Functioning are Related in a longitudinal Study of Women at Midlife. Gerontology .
- Ford K, Chamratrithirong A (2009). First Sexual Exoerience and Current Sexual Behavior among Older Thai Adults Sexual Health 195-202.
- Ford K, Jampaklay A, Chamratrithirong A (June, 2009). Remittances and Household Wealth in Kanchanaburi, Thailand Asia Pacific Migration Review .
- Ford, K., Chamratrithirong, A." (2008). Migrant Seafarers and HIV Risk in Thai Communities AIDS Education and Prevention 454-463.
- Sasiwongsaroj, K., Sethaput, C., Ford, K. (2008). Child Mortality Inequality between Thais and Hilltribes in Thailand: Study from Population and Housing Census 2000. Journal of Population and Social Studies 143-164.
- Ford, K., Chamratrithirong, A. (2007). Sexual Partners and Condom Use of Migrant Workers in Thailand AIDS and Behavior 905-912.
- Sawtri, A., Sumantera, G., Wirawan, D.N., Lehman, E., Ford, K. (2006). Drug User's Experience of HIV Testing in Bali, Indonesia. AIDS Care 577-588.
- Population Association of America
- International Union for the Scientific Study of Population