Kristi Gamarel, PhD, Ed.M.
- John G. Searle Assistant Professor of Health Behavior and Health Education
- 3826 SPH I
- 1415 Washington Heights
- Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2029
Dr. Gamarel is a Social Psychologist with training and experience in psychological
counseling and public health. Her work seeks to apply social psychological and relationship
science theories and community-based participatory research (CBPR) principles to develop
and improve behavioral health interventions. Dr. Gamarel is engaged in community-centered,
interdisciplinary research focused on stigma, close relationships, and LGBTQ+ health.
Dr. Gamarel's current NIH-funded projects seek to understand and address inequities
in HIV and substance use among transgender women and gay and bisexual men. She is
a founding member of the "Love Her Collective" which is a community-academic partnership
between the Trans Sistas of Color Project (TSoCP) and the University of Michigan School of Public Health with the expressed mission
of holistically addressing the health needs of transgender women of color in Detroit,
Dr. Gamarel is the John G. Searle Assistant Professor of Health Behavior and Health Education. In 2019, she was awarded the Early Career Investigator award from the Society of Behavioral Medicine.
- HBEHED605: Human Sexuality Across The Life Course
- HBEHED886: Theory-Driven Interventions Targeting Individual Behavior Change
- PUBHLTH406: Research Methods in Public Health
- PhD, Social Psychology, Graduate Center of the City University of New York, 2014
- Ed.M., Psychological Counseling, Teachers College Columbia University, 2009
- M.A., Psychological Counseling, Teachers College Columbia University, 2008
- B.A., Psychology, Bard College, 2001
- Gamarel, K.E., & Golub, S.A. (in press). Closeness discrepancies and intimacy interference:
Motivations for HIV prevention behavior in primary romantic relationships. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin.
- Gamarel, KE, Mereish, EH, Colby, SM, Barnett, NP, Hayes, K, Jackson, KM (2018). Sexual
minority disparities in substance use willingness among youth. Substance Use & Misuse, 53(1), 170-175.
- Gamarel, KE, Nelson, KM, Stephenson, R, Santiago Rivera, OJ, Chiaramonte, D, Miller,
RL & the Adolescent Medicine Trails Network for HIV/AIDS Interventions (2018). Anticipated
HIV stigma and delays in regular HIV testing behaviors among sexually-active young
gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men and transgender women. AIDS & Behavior, 22(2), 522-530.
- Operario, D., Gamarel, K.E., Iwamoto, M., Suzuki, S., Suico, S., Darbes, L., Nemoto,
T. (2017). Couples-focused prevention program to reduce HIV risk among transgender
women and their primary male partners: Feasibility and promise of the Couples HIV
Intervention Program. AIDS & Behavior, 21(8), 2452-2463.
- Gamarel, K.E., Neilands, T.B., Conroy, A.A., Dilworth, S.E., Lisha, N., Taylor, J.M., Darbes, L.A., & Johnson, M.O. (2017). A longitudinal study of persistent smoking among HIV-positive gay and bisexual men in primary relationships. Addictive Behaviors, 66, 118-124.