Kristi Gamarel is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Health Behavior and Health Education at the University of Michigan's School of Public Health. Before joining the University of Michigan, she was a Research Assistant Professor in the Department of Behavioral and Social Sciences and the Center for Alcohol and Addiction Studies at Brown University's School of Public Health. As a social psychologist with expertise in health psychology and public health, the major focus of her work seeks to eliminate health inequities in partnership with sexual and gender minority communities. Her research includes cohort studies and couples-based and m-health/e-health approaches to address HIV prevention and treatment, alcohol reduction, and tobacco control and prevention. Guided by community-based participatory research principles, her currently funded projects aim to develop and evaluate relationship-focused HIV prevention and substance use interventions for diverse sexual and gender minority communities.
- Ph.D., Social Psychology, Graduate Center of the City University of New York, 2014
- Ed.M., Psychological Counseling, Teachers College Columbia University, 2009
- M.A., Psychological Counseling, Teachers College Columbia University, 2008
- B.A., Psychology, Bard College, 2001
- Gamarel, K.E., & Golub, S.A. (in press). Closeness discrepancies and intimacy interference:
Motivations for HIV prevention behavior in primary romantic relationships. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin.
- Gamarel, KE, Mereish, EH, Colby, SM, Barnett, NP, Hayes, K, Jackson, KM (2018). Sexual
minority disparities in substance use willingness among youth. Substance Use & Misuse, 53(1), 170-175.
- Gamarel, KE, Nelson, KM, Stephenson, R, Santiago Rivera, OJ, Chiaramonte, D, Miller,
RL & the Adolescent Medicine Trails Network for HIV/AIDS Interventions (2018). Anticipated
HIV stigma and delays in regular HIV testing behaviors among sexually-active young
gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men and transgender women. AIDS & Behavior, 22(2), 522-530.
- Operario, D., Gamarel, K.E., Iwamoto, M., Suzuki, S., Suico, S., Darbes, L., Nemoto,
T. (2017). Couples-focused prevention program to reduce HIV risk among transgender
women and their primary male partners: Feasibility and promise of the Couples HIV
Intervention Program. AIDS & Behavior, 21(8), 2452-2463.
- Gamarel, K.E., Neilands, T.B., Conroy, A.A., Dilworth, S.E., Lisha, N., Taylor, J.M., Darbes, L.A., & Johnson, M.O. (2017). A longitudinal study of persistent smoking among HIV-positive gay and bisexual men in primary relationships. Addictive Behaviors, 66, 118-124.