Susan Dorr Goold, M.D., MHSA, M.A.
- Professor of Internal Medicine, Medical School
- Professor of Health Management and Policy, School of Public Health
- 300 North Ingalls Building
- 7C27 NIB
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109
Susan Dorr Goold, M.D., MHSA, M.A., Professor of Internal Medicine and Health Management and Policy at the University of Michigan, studies the allocation of scarce healthcare resources, especially the perspectives of patients and citizens. Results from projects using the CHAT (Choosing Healthplans All Together) allocation game have been published and presented in national and international venues. CHAT won the 2003 Paul Ellwood Award, and Dr. Goold's research using CHAT received the 2002 Mark S. Ehrenreich Prize for Research in Healthcare Ethics. CHAT has been used by educators, community-based organizations, employer groups, and others in over 20 U.S. states and several countries engage the public in deliberations on health spending priorities. Dr. Goold serves on several editorial boards and on the AMA Council on Ethical and Judicial Affairs, and has held leadership positions in the American Society for Bioethics and Humanities and the International society on Healthcare Priority Setting.
- M.A., Philosophy, Michigan State University, 1994
- M.H.S.A, Health Management and Policy, University of Michigan, 1992
- M.D. , , University of Michigan, 1987
- B.A., Molecular Biology, University of Colorado, 1983
- Public perspectives on health and health care spending priorities
- Physicians and stewardship
- Conflicts of interest in medicine and biomedical research
- Public health ethics and equity
- Physician reimbursement and the doctor-patient relationship
- Deliberative procedures in bioethics and health policy
- The philosophical and empirical study of trust relationships in health care settings
- Baum, N. M., Campbell, E. G., DesRoches, C., Goold, S. D. (Forthcoming). Resource Allocation in Public Health Practice: A National Survey of Local Public Health Officials. Journal of Public Health Management Practice. .
- Keirns, C. C., Goold, S. D. (2009). No Thanks: Patient-Centered Care, Preference-Sensitive Decision-making & Pay for Performance. JAMA .
- Baum, N. M., Jacobson, P. D., Goold, S. D. (2009). Listen to the people: Public deliberation about social distancing measures in a pandemic. American Journal of Bioethics .
- Baum, N. M., Gollust, S. E., Goold, S. D., Jacobson, P.D. (2009). Ethical Issues in Public Health Practice in Michigan. American Journal of Public Health .
- Goold, S. D., Baum, N. M. (2008). Where are we in the rationing debate? BMJ 2047.
- Society of General Internal Medicine
- American Medical Association
- American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
- International Society on Healthcare Priority Setting
- Michigan State Medical Association
- American Public Health Association