Scott L. Greer, PhD
Health Management and Policy
Global Public Health
- M3158 SPH II
- 1415 Washington Heights
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2029
Scott L. Greer, Ph.D, a political scientist, is Professor of Health Management and Policy, Global Public Health, and Political Science (by courtesy) at the University of Michigan and is also Senior Expert Advisor on Health Governance for the European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies.
He researches the politics of health policies, with a special focus on the politics and policies of the European Union the politics of public health, and the impact of federalism on health care. Before coming to Michigan, he taught at University College London. He has published over a hundred book chapters and articles in journals including the Lancet, British Medical Journal, Milbank Quarterly, American Journal of Public Health, Social Science and Medicine, Journal of European Public Policy, Journal of European Social Policy, and Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law. His most recent books include Everything you always wanted to know about European Union health policies but were afraid to ask (2014, second edition 2019, third edition forthcoming), Strengthening health system governance: better policies, stronger performance (2015), Federalism and Decentralization in European Health and Social Care (2013), European Union Public Health Policies (2013), Civil Society and Health (2017), Federalism and Social Policy (2019), The European Union after Brexit (2020), The Populist Radical Right and Health (2021) and Coronavirus Politics (2021).
- PH384: Making change in public health
- PhD, Political Science, Northwestern University, 2003
- B.A., Political Science, University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, 1996
Public health politics; the politics of health care policy; Western Europe; government responses to public health crises.
- S.L. Greer, J. F. Lynch, A. Reeves, M. Falkenbach, J. Cylus, C. Bambra. Forthcoming. The Politics of Healthy Ageing: Can common interests overcome inequalities? Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- S.L. Greer and J. Laible, eds. 2020. The European Union after Brexit. Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- Greer, S.L., King, E.J., da Fonseca, E.M. and Peralta-Santos, A., 2020. The comparative politics of COVID-19: The need to understand government responses. Global public health, 15(9), pp.1413-1416.
- Rozier, M.D., Willison, C.E., Anspach, R.R., Howell, J.D., Greer, A.L. and Greer, S.L., 2020. Paradoxes of professional autonomy: a qualitative study of US neonatologists from 1978‐2017. Sociology of Health & Illness.
- Greer, S.L., Klasa, K. and van Ginneken, E., 2020. Power and Purchasing: Why Strategic Purchasing Fails. The Milbank Quarterly, 98(3), pp.975-1020.
- Singer PM, Willison CE, Greer SL. Infectious disease, public health, and politics: United States response to Ebola and Zika. Journal of public health policy. 2020 Aug 3:1-1.
- Méndez, C., SL Greer, M. McKee. The 2019 Crisis in Chile: Fundamental change needed, not just technical fixes to the health system. Journal of Public Health Policy.
- Greer, S.L., H. Jarman. What is European Union public health policy and why? Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law.
- Greer, S.L., E. Brooks. Termites of solidarity in the house of austerity: Undermining European Union fiscal governance. Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law.
- Fahy, N., Hervey, T., Dayan, M., Flear, M., Galsworthy, M., Jarman, H., Greer, S. and McKee, M., 2020. Assessing the potential impact on health of the UK’s future relationship agreement with the EU: analysis of the negotiating positions. Health Economics, Policy and Law. Online first publication, June 2020.
- Trump, B.D., Bridges, T. S., Cegan, J.C., Cibulsky, S.M., Greer, S.L., Jarman, H., Lafferty, B. J., Surette, M., and Linkov, I. An analytical perspective on pandemic recovery. Health Security. Online first publication, June 2020.
- Greer, S.L. 2020. Health, federalism, and the European Union: Lessons from comparative federalism about the European Union. Heath Economics, Policy and Law. Online first publication, April 2020.
- Jarman H, Greer SL. 2020. What Is the Affordable Care Act a Case of? Understanding the ACA through the Comparative Method. Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law. Online first publication, April 2020.
- Stewart, E., Ercia, A., Greer, S.L. and Donnelly, P.D., 2020. Between a rock and a hard place: comparing arms’ length bodies for public involvement in healthcare across the UK. Health Policy. Online first publication, March 2020.
- Jarman, H., Greer, S.L. and McKee, M., 2020. Brexit is just a symptom: the constitutional weaknesses it reveals have serious consequences for health. Journal of Public Health. Online first publication, February 2020.
- Greer, S.L. and Trump, B., 2019. Regulation and regime: the comparative politics of adaptive regulation in synthetic biology. Policy Sciences, 52(4), pp.505-524.
- S.L. Greer, N. Fahy, S. Rozenblum, H. Jarman, W. Palm, H. Elliott, M. Wismar. 2019. Everything You Always Wanted to Know About European Union Health Policy but Were Afraid to Ask. Completely revised second edition. Brussels: European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies.