John Griffith is the Andrew Pattullo Collegiate Professor in the Department of Health Management and Policy. He was director of the program and bureau of Hospital Administration at the University of Michigan from 1970 to 1982, and chair of his department from 1987 to 1991.
Professor Griffith has been at Michigan since 1960. He is an educator of graduate students and practicing health care executives. He has served as chair of the Association of University Programs in Health Administration and as a Commissioner for the Accrediting Commission on Education in Health Services Administration. Professor Griffith is active as a consultant to numerous private and public organizations. He has served as an examiner for the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award, 1997-1999. He is the author of numerous publications. His text, The Well-Managed Health Care Organization, is currently in its seventh edition. The first edition won the ACHE Hamilton Prize for book of the year in 1987, and the fourth was named Book of the Year by Healthcare Information and Managment Systems Society. Five of his articles have been recognized for excellence by the American College of Healthcare Executives. Reaching Excellence, published in 2010 by Health Administration Press, is a handbook for practitioners drawn from the text.
Professor Griffith continues to pursue research supporting excellence in the management of healthcare organizations. With colleagues, he is developing a learning system to facilitate mastery of the emerging issues in management.
Professor Griffith is honored by the Griffith Leadership Center. The Center works to enhance understanding of excellent leadership in healthcare finance and delivery by increasing communication between department faculty, students, and outstanding practitioners.
- M.B.A., Hospital Administration, University of Chicago, 1957
- B.E.S., Industrial Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 1955
- Griffith, J.R. (2009). Finding the Frontier of Hospital Management Journal of Health Care Management 57-71.
- Griffith, J.R. (2009). Advancing Education for Evidence-Based Healthcare Management Journal of Health Administration Education.
- Calhoun, J.G.,Dollett, L.,Sinioris, M.E., Wainio, J.A., Butler, P.W., Griffith, J.R., Warden, G.L. (2008). Development of an interprofessional competency model for healthcare leadership Journal of Healthcare Management 375-389.
- Griffith, J.R. (2007). Improving Preparation for Senior Management in Healthcare Journal of Health Administration Education.
- Griffith, J.R. (2007). Improving Preparation for Senior Management in Healthcare J. of Health Administration Education.
- Griffith, J.R.,Alexander, J.A.,Foster, D. H. (2006). Is Anybody Managing the Store: National Trends in Hospital Performance Journal Healthcare Management 396-405.
- Alexander, J.A., Griffith, J.R., Weiner, B.J. (2006). Quality Improvement Determinants of Hospital Profitability and Cost Performance Journal of Organizational Behavior.
- 2001-2008: Sr. Advisor, Board of Trustees, National Center for Healthcare Leadership
- Fellow, American College of Healthcare Executives
- Tau Beta Pi, (National Engineering Honor Fraternity) 1954
- Andrew Pattullo Collegiate Professor in Hospital Administration 1983 - present
- Michigan Hospital Association Special Award - 1983
- Examiner, Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award, 1997, 1998
- John Mannix Award, Greater Cleveland Hospital Association, 1993
- American College of Healthcare Executives Hayhow Article of the Year Award - l989
- American College of Healthcare Executives, Gold Medal Award, 1992
- American College of Healthcare Executives Conley Article of the Year Award - l997
- Andrew Pattullo Lectureship, Association of University Programs in Health Administration, 1998
- Senior Adviser to the Governing Board, National Center for Healthcare Leadership, 2001- present
- Gary L. Filerman Prize for Educational Leadership, Association of University Programs in Health Administration, 2002
- American College of Healthcare Executives Conley Article of the Year Award - (with Jeffrey A Alexander) 2004
- American College of Healthcare Executives Conley Article of the Year Award - (with Kenneth R. White) 2006
- University of Michigan School of Public Health Excellence in Teaching Award, April 2009
- The Well-Managed Healthcare Organization, published by Health Administration Press,
has won the following recognitions:
- American College of Healthcare Executives Hospital Administration Book of the Year - 1988
- Health Information Management Systems Society Book of the Year 2000
- Doody's Rating Service “A Buyer's Guide to the 250 Best Health Sciences Books of 1999”