John R. Griffith, M.B.A., F.A.C.H.E.
- Professor Emeritus, Department of Health Management and Policy
- 1415 Washington Heights
- 3611 SPH Tower
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2029
John Griffith has been Professor Emeritus since 2011. He has been at Michigan since 1960. He is an educator of graduate students and practicing health care executives. He was the Andrew Pattullo Collegiate Professor in the Department of Health Management and Policy, 1982-2011, director of the Program and Bureau of Hospital Administration from 1970 to 1982, and chair of his department from 1987 to 1991.
Professor Griffith served as chair of the Association of University Programs in Health Administration and as a Commissioner for the Accrediting Commission on Education in Health Services Administration. He has consulted with numerous private and public organizations. He served as an examiner for the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award, 1997-1999. He is the author of numerous publications. His text, The Well-Managed Health Care Organization, is currently in its ninth edition. The first edition won the ACHE Hamilton Prize for book of the year in 1987, and the fourth was named Book of the Year by Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society. Five of his articles have been recognized for excellence by the American College of Healthcare Executives.
Professor Griffith continues to pursue research supporting excellence in the management of healthcare organizations. With colleagues, he is developing a learning system to facilitate mastery of the emerging issues in management.
Professor Griffith’s contributions have been recognized by the American College of Healthcare Executives Gold Medal. 1992, the Association of University Programs in Health Administration Filerman Prize, 2002, and the Modern Healthcare Healthcare Hall of Fame, 2014. He is honored by the Griffith Leadership Center. The Center works to enhance understanding of excellent leadership in healthcare finance and delivery by increasing communication between department faculty, students, and outstanding practitioners.
- M.B.A., Hospital Administration, University of Chicago, 1957
- B.E.S., Industrial Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 1955
- An Organizational Model for Excellence in Healthcare Delivery: Evidence From Winners
of the Baldrige Quality Award. Journal of Healthcare Management. 2017;62(5):328-341.
(Republished in McAlearney AS, Kovner, AR 2018, Health Services Management: A Case
Study Approach, Chicago,Health Administration Press.)
- Is It Time to Abandon Hospital Accreditation? American Journal of Medical Quality..
- Achieving Professionalism in Health Care Organizations. American Journal of Medical
Quality. 2018; 33(2).
- A positive deviance perspective on hospital knowledge management: analysis of Baldrige
Award recipients 2002-2008. 2013 Griffith J.R., Fear K.M., Lammers E., Banaszak-Holl
J., Lemak C.H., Zheng K., Journal of healthcare management / American College of Healthcare
Executives 58(3):187-203; discussion 203-204.
- Transforming the Dominant Logic of Hospitals 2011 White, K.R., Thompson, S., Griffith,
J.R. Biennial Review of Health Care Management (Advances in Health Care Management
- Improving Healthcare Management Education Using Principles from Baldrige and Evidence-Based
Management (2011)White, K.R., Lemak, C.H., Griffith, J.R. Journal of Health Administration
- Griffith, J.R. (2009). Finding the Frontier of Hospital Management Journal of Health Care Management 57-71.
- Griffith, J.R. (2009). Advancing Education for Evidence-Based Healthcare Management Journal of Health Administration Education.
- Calhoun, J.G.,Dollett, L.,Sinioris, M.E., Wainio, J.A., Butler, P.W., Griffith, J.R., Warden, G.L. (2008). Development of an interprofessional competency model for healthcare leadership Journal of Healthcare Management 375-389.
- Griffith, J.R. (2007). Improving Preparation for Senior Management in Healthcare Journal of Health Administration Education.
- Griffith, J.R. (2007). Improving Preparation for Senior Management in Healthcare J. of Health Administration Education.
- Griffith, J.R.,Alexander, J.A.,Foster, D. H. (2006). Is Anybody Managing the Store: National Trends in Hospital Performance Journal Healthcare Management 396-405.
- Alexander, J.A., Griffith, J.R., Weiner, B.J. (2006). Quality Improvement Determinants of Hospital Profitability and Cost Performance Journal of Organizational Behavior.
- 2001-2008: Sr. Advisor, Board of Trustees, National Center for Healthcare Leadership
- Fellow, American College of Healthcare Executives
- Tau Beta Pi, (National Engineering Honor Fraternity) 1954
- Andrew Pattullo Collegiate Professor in Hospital Administration 1983 - present
- Michigan Hospital Association Special Award - 1983
- Examiner, Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award, 1997, 1998
- John Mannix Award, Greater Cleveland Hospital Association, 1993
- American College of Healthcare Executives Hayhow Article of the Year Award - l989
- American College of Healthcare Executives, Gold Medal Award, 1992
- American College of Healthcare Executives Conley Article of the Year Award - l997
- Andrew Pattullo Lectureship, Association of University Programs in Health Administration, 1998
- Senior Adviser to the Governing Board, National Center for Healthcare Leadership, 2001- present
- Gary L. Filerman Prize for Educational Leadership, Association of University Programs in Health Administration, 2002
- American College of Healthcare Executives Conley Article of the Year Award - (with Jeffrey A Alexander) 2004
- American College of Healthcare Executives Conley Article of the Year Award - (with Kenneth R. White) 2006
- University of Michigan School of Public Health Excellence in Teaching Award, April 2009
- The Well-Managed Healthcare Organization, published by Health Administration Press,
has won the following recognitions:
- American College of Healthcare Executives Hospital Administration Book of the Year - 1988
- Health Information Management Systems Society Book of the Year 2000
- Doody's Rating Service “A Buyer's Guide to the 250 Best Health Sciences Books of 1999”
- Translation to Chinese by Tianjin University Press, 2017
- Modern Healthcare Healthcare Hall of Fame, 2014
- Reaching Excellence, published by Health Administration Press, received the American College of Healthcare Executives Hospital Administration Hamilton Book of the Year - 2010