Theodore A. Hanss, M.A., M.B.A.
Ted Hanss joined Yale University in 2018 and serves as the Health Sciences Chief Information Officer, providing strategic guidance and operational support for the Medical School, School of Public Health, School of Nursing, and Yale Health. Ted also sits on the IT leadership team for the Yale New Haven Health System. YNHHS operates several hospitals and clinics across Connecticut, Rhode Island, and New York.
Previously, Ted worked for the University of Michigan, where his last role was Associate CIO for Michigan Medicine and CIO of the Medical School. Ted spent 1996 to 2004 on loan from Michigan to the Internet2 consortium as the director of applications development. Ted is also active in the Association of American Medical Colleges, where he was elected to the AAMC Group on Information Resources steering committee from 2011 to 2017, including serving as chair, is a graduate of the GIR Leadership Institute, a GIR Fellow, a faculty member for the AAMC Leading Information Technology professional development institute, and on the steering committee for MedBiquitous, the learning standards arm of the AAMC.
He has a B.S. in Biology from Boston College, an MBA from the University of Michigan Ross School of Business, and an MA in Information Science from the University of Michigan School of Information. He has earned the Certified Health Care CIO credential from the College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME).
- M.A., Information Science, School of Information, University of Michigan, 2016
- M.B.A., Ross School of Business, University of Michigan, 1994
- B.S., Biology, Boston College, 1983
- "Inculcating Institutional Infrastructure to Support International Collaboration," A. Luo, T. Hanss, D. Malicke, G. Doyle, & N. Tagoe. Proceedings of the 49th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Kauai, HI, January 2016.
- "Leveraging Contextual Inquiry Methods to Empower Patients in a Learning Health System," S. Kumar, T. Hanss, L. Johnson, C. Friedman, K. Donaldson, K. Omollo, J. Tyus, & J. Rubin. Proceedings of the 48th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Kauai, HI, January 2015.
- "Human Infrastructure as Process and Effect: Its Impact on Individual Scientists' Participation in International Collaboration," A. Luo, M.A. Murphy, & T. Hanss. Proceedings of ACM Group '12, Sanibel, FL, November 2012.
- "Towards Building a Productive, Scalable, and Sustainable Collaboration Model for Open Educational Resources," A. Luo, D. Ng'ambi, & T. Hanss, Proceedings of ACM Group '10, Sanibel, FL, November 2010.
- "Reaching the Heart of the University: Libraries and the Future of OER," P. Kleymeer, M. Kleinman, & T. Hanss, Proceedings of OpenEd Conference 2010, Barcelona, Spain, November 2010. http://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/78006
- "IMS Learning Tools Interoperability: Enabling a Mash-up Approach to Teaching and Learning Tools," C. Severance, T. Hanss, & J. Hardin, Technology, Instruction, Cognition and Learning, 7(3):245-262, 2010.
- "Chapter author, "Internet2: The Promise of Truly Advanced Broadband," T. Hanss & D. Van Houweling, in The Broadband Explosion, R. Austin & S. Bradley, Editors, Harvard Business School Press, 2005.
- "NGI and Internet2: Accelerating the Creation of Tomorrow's Internet," M. Kratz, M. Ackerman, T. Hanss, & S. Corbato, Medinfo 2001 Conference Proceedings, V. Patel et al., Editors, Amsterdam: IOS Press, 10(Pt. 1):28-32, 2001.
- "Digital Video: Internet2 Killer App or Dilbert's Nightmare?" EDUCAUSE Review, May/June 2001.
- American Medical Informatics Association
- Association of American Medical Colleges (Group on Business Affairs & Group on Information Resources)
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME)
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS)
- InCommon Steering Committee Vice Chair
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Internet2 (Program Committee &Trust and Identity Program Advisory Group)