Theodore A. Hanss, M.A., M.B.A.
Adjunct Faculty, Health Management and Policy, School of Public Health
Ted Hanss joined Yale University in July 2018 as Associate Chief Information Officer. Reporting to the university CIO, Ted provides strategic guidance and operational support for the Medical School, School of Public Health, School of Nursing, and Yale Health. Ted also sits on the IT leadership team for the Yale New Haven Health System, reporting to the YNHHS CIO. Previously, Ted worked for the University of Michigan (from 1985 to 2018), where his most recent role was as Associate CIO for Michigan Medicine and before that CIO of the Medical School. Ted spent 1996 to 2004 on loan from Michigan to the Internet2 consortium as the director of applications development. He remains involved in Internet2, serving as Vice Chair of the InCommon Steering Committee and as a member of both the Trust and Identity Program Advisory Group and the Internet2 Program Committee. Ted is also active in the Association of American Medical Colleges, where he was elected to the AAMC Group on Information Resources steering committee from 2011 to 2017, including serving as chair, is a graduate of the GIR Leadership Institute, a GIR Fellow, and a faculty member for the Leading Information Technology professional development institute. He has a B.S. in Biology from Boston College, an MBA from the University of Michigan Ross School of Business, and an MA in Information Science from the University of Michigan School of Information. He has earned the Certified Health Care CIO credential from the College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME).
HMP 668: Introduction to Health Informatics
- M.A., Information Science, School of Information, University of Michigan, 2016
- M.B.A., Ross School of Business, University of Michigan, 1994
- B.S., Biology, Boston College, 1983
Ted's research interests include the development and use of learning materials provided as open educational resources as part of global health education capacity building programs. He also studies the science of team science, the processes and approaches to collaborative biomedical research and education.
- "Inculcating Institutional Infrastructure to Support International Collaboration," A. Luo, T. Hanss, D. Malicke, G. Doyle, & N. Tagoe. Proceedings of the 49th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Kauai, HI, January 2016.
- "Leveraging Contextual Inquiry Methods to Empower Patients in a Learning Health System," S. Kumar, T. Hanss, L. Johnson, C. Friedman, K. Donaldson, K. Omollo, J. Tyus, & J. Rubin. Proceedings of the 48th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Kauai, HI, January 2015.
- "Human Infrastructure as Process and Effect: Its Impact on Individual Scientists' Participation in International Collaboration," A. Luo, M.A. Murphy, & T. Hanss. Proceedings of ACM Group '12, Sanibel, FL, November 2012.
- "Towards Building a Productive, Scalable, and Sustainable Collaboration Model for Open Educational Resources," A. Luo, D. Ng'ambi, & T. Hanss, Proceedings of ACM Group '10, Sanibel, FL, November 2010.
- "Reaching the Heart of the University: Libraries and the Future of OER," P. Kleymeer, M. Kleinman, & T. Hanss, Proceedings of OpenEd Conference 2010, Barcelona, Spain, November 2010. http://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/78006
- "IMS Learning Tools Interoperability: Enabling a Mash-up Approach to Teaching and Learning Tools," C. Severance, T. Hanss, & J. Hardin, Technology, Instruction, Cognition and Learning, 7(3):245-262, 2010.
- "Chapter author, "Internet2: The Promise of Truly Advanced Broadband," T. Hanss & D. Van Houweling, in The Broadband Explosion, R. Austin & S. Bradley, Editors, Harvard Business School Press, 2005.
- "NGI and Internet2: Accelerating the Creation of Tomorrow's Internet," M. Kratz, M. Ackerman, T. Hanss, & S. Corbato, Medinfo 2001 Conference Proceedings, V. Patel et al., Editors, Amsterdam: IOS Press, 10(Pt. 1):28-32, 2001.
- "Digital Video: Internet2 Killer App or Dilbert's Nightmare?" EDUCAUSE Review, May/June 2001.
- American Medical Informatics Association
- Association of American Medical Colleges (Group on Business Affairs & Group on Information Resources)
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME)
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS)
- InCommon Steering Committee Vice Chair
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Internet2 (Program Committee &Trust and Identity Program Advisory Group)