Mary Janevic is an Assistant Research Scientist in Health Behavior/Health Education at the University of Michigan School of Public Health and is a faculty member of the University of Michigan's Center for Managing Chronic Disease. Her work focuses on interventions to promote self-care among individuals with chronic pain and other chronic illness, particularly older adults and women; family support for chronic illness management; physical activity among individuals with chronic illness; and the effects of having multiple chronic conditions on self-care and health outcomes. Previously Dr. Janevic was a post-doctoral fellow at the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health at University College London, UK, where she assisted with the English Longitudinal Study on Aging. She has also worked at Kaiser Permanente-Northern California Region, where she coordinated health education programs focusing on chronic disease management.
- Ph.D., Health Behavior & Health Education, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2002
- M.P.H., Health Behavior & Health Education, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1995
- B.A., Russian and East European Studies, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1992
Research Interests & Projects
- Chronic pain among older adults
- Interventions for chronic disease self-management
- Implementation science
- Family caregiving and family support for chronic illness
- Cultural, gender and psychosocial influences on chronic disease management
- Physical activity among chronically ill older adults
- Janevic, M. R., McLaughlin, S. J., Heapy, A. A., Thacker, C., & Piette, J. D. (2017). Racial and Socioeconomic Disparities in Disabling Chronic Pain: Findings from the Health and Retirement Study. The Journal of Pain.
- Janevic MR, Stoll, S., Lara, M., Valencia, G.R., Stephens, T.B., Persky, V., Uyeda, K., Malveaux, F. (2016) Pediatric asthma care coordination in underserved communities: A quasi-experimental study. American Journal of Public Health.
- Janevic MR, Stoll, SC, Lara, M., Ramos-Valencia, G.R., Bryant-Stephens, T., Persky, V., Uyeda, K., Malveaux, FJ. (2016) The retrofitting approach to adapting evidence-based interventions: A case study of pediatric asthma care coordination, United States, 2010-2014. Preventing Chronic Disease.
- Janevic MR, Piette JD, Heisler M, Ratz D, Kim M, Rosland AM (2015) Family involvement before and during medical visits among older adults with high-risk diabetes. Diabetic Medicine.
- Janevic, M.R., McLaughlin S.J., Connell, C.M. (2013) The association of diabetes complications with physical activity in a representative sample of older adults in the United States. Chronic Illness 9:4, 251-257.
- Janevic, M.R., Rosland, A.M., Wiitala, W., Connell, C.M., Piette, J.D. (2012) Providing support to relatives and friends managing both chronic physical illness and depression: The views of a national sample of U.S. adults. Patient Education and Counseling, 89, 191-98.
- Janevic, M.R., McLaughlin, S.J., & Connell, C.M. (2012). Overestimation of physical activity among a nationally-representative sample of underactive individuals with diabetes. Medical Care 50, 441-5.
- Janevic, M.R., & Connell, C.M. (2001). Racial, ethnic, and cultural differences in the dementia caregiving experience: Recent findings. The Gerontologist, 41, 334-347.
- American Evaluation Association
- American Public Health Association
- Gerontological Society of America
- American Pain Society
- International Association for the Study of Pain