Dr. Karvonen-Gutierrez is an Assistant Professor of Epidemiology in the School of Public Health at the University of Michigan. Dr. Karvonen-Gutierrez’s research focuses on the impact of chronological aging, reproductive aging and obesity and their intersections, on the development and progression of chronic disease and musculoskeletal outcomes through the creation of a metabolically-dysfunctional and pro-inflammatory environment. To address her research agenda, Dr. Karvonen-Gutierrez pursues mechanistic and biologic hypotheses using both epidemiologic and clinical research designs leveraging her leadership in ongoing cohort studies as well as new data collection efforts.
Dr. Karvonen-Gutierrez received her PhD in Epidemiologic Science and MPH in Epidemiology from the University of Michigan. She is a National Institute of Aging Butler Williams Scholar and is on the Editorial Board at the Midlife Women’s Health journal. She has a K01 Mentored Research Scientist award from the National Institute of Aging to examine metabolomics and osteoarthritis..
- Ph.D., Epidemiologic Science, University of Michigan, 2012
- M.P.H., Epidemiology, University of Michigan, 2005
- B.A. , Biology, University of Northern Iowa, 2002
Research Interests & Projects
- Dr. Karvonen-Gutierrez is a faculty member of the Center for Midlife Science where she seeks to understand the importance of the midlife as a critical window of risk for the development of age-related diseases using two NIH-funded longitudinal cohorts now spanning 20 years of follow-up – the Study of Women’s Health Across the Nation (SWAN) and the Michigan Bone Health and Metabolism Study (MBHMS). Each study includes a broad range of data including musculoskeletal, endocrine, cardio-metabolic and health history data as well as bio-specimen repositories. Within the Center, Dr. Karvonen-Gutierrez provides leadership for the osteoarthritis, physical functioning and disability components of these two studies. In addition to this work, Dr. Karvonen-Gutierrez is the Principal Investigator of the Smoking and Knee Osteoarthritis Risk (SOAR) study which seeks to understand the seemingly protective impact of smoking on knee osteoarthritis.
- Jepsen, K.J., Kozminski, A., Bigelow, E.M., Schlecht, S.H., Goulet, R.W., Harlow, S.D., Cauley, J.A., Karvonen-Gutierrez, C. Femoral neck external size but not aBMD predicts structural and mass changes for women transitioning through menopause. J Bone Miner Res 2017;Jan 13.
- Chandrasekaran, N., Harlow, S., Moroi, S., Musch, D., Peng, Q., Karvonen-Gutierrez, C. Visual impairment at baseline is associated with future poor physical functioning among middle-aged women: The Study of Women's Health Across the Nation, Michigan Site. Maturitas 2017;96:33-38.
- Ylitalo, K.R., Karvonen-Gutierrez, C.A. Body mass index, falls, and injurious falls among U.S. adults: Findings from the 2014 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. Prev Med 2016;91:217-223.
- Karvonen-Gutierrez, C., Kim, C. Association of mid-life changes in body size, body composition and obesity status with the menopausal transition. Healthcare 2016;4(3)
- Jepsen, K.J., Bigelow, E.M.R., Ramcharan, M., Schlecht, S., Karvonen-Gutierrez, C. Moving toward a prevention strategy for osteoporosis by giving a voice to a silent disease. J Women’s Midlife Health 2016;2:3.
- Karvonen-Gutierrez, C.A., Park, S.K., Kim, C. Diabetes and menopause. Curr Diab Reports 2016;16(4):20.
- Ylitalo, K., Karvonen-Gutierrez, C.A., McClure, C., El Khoudary, S., Jackson, E.A., Sternfeld, B., Harlow, S.D. Is self-reported physical functioning associated with incident cardiometabolic abnormalities or the metabolic syndrome? Diabetes Metab Res Rev 2016;32(4):413-420.
- Karvonen-Gutierrez, C.A. The importance of disability as a health issue for mid-life women. Women’s Midlife Health 2015;1:10. doi: 10.1186/s40695-015-0011-x.
- Karvonen-Gutierrez, C.A., Zheng, H., Mancuso, P., Harlow, S.D. Higher leptin and adiponectin concentrations predict poorer performance-based physical functioning in mid-life women: the Michigan Study of Women’s Health Across the Nation. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2016;71(4):508-514.
- Karvonen-Gutierrez, C.A., Ylitalo, K.R. Prevalence and correlates of disability in a late middle-aged population of women. J Aging Health 2013;25:701-717
- Ylitalo, K.R., Karvonen-Gutierrez, C.A., Fitzgerald, N., Zheng, H., Sternfeld, B., El Khoudary, S.R., Harlow, S.D. Relationship of race/ethnicity, body mass index, and economic strain with longitudinal self-report of physical functioning: The Study of Women’s Health Across the Nation. Ann Epidemiol 2013;23(7):401-408.
- Karvonen-Gutierrez, C.A., Sowers, M.R., Heeringa, S.G. Sex dimorphism in the association of cardiometabolic characteristics and knee osteoarthritis among obese and non-obese adults: NHANES III. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2012;20:614-621.
- Karvonen-Gutierrez, C.A., Harlow, S.D., Mancuso, P., Jacobson, J., Mendes de Leon, C.F., Nan, B. Leptin levels are associated with radiographic knee osteoarthritis among a cohort of mid-life women. Arthritis Care Res 2013;65:936-944.
- Karvonen-Gutierrez, C.A., Harlow, S.D., Jacobson, J., Mancuso, P., Jiang, Y. The relationship between longitudinal serum leptin and measures of magnetic resonance imaging-assessed knee joint damage in a population of mid-life women. Ann Rheum Dis 2014;73(5):883-889.
- Society for Epidemiologic Research (SER)
- Osteoarthritis Research Society International (OARSI)
- Gerontological Society of America (GSA)
- American Geriatrics Society (AGS)