- 2005: Ph.D. in Sociology and Demography, University of Pennsylvania
Dissertation Title: Education and Family Change: a Comparative Study of Shifts in the Timing and Structure of Family Formation
- 2000: M.A in Demography, University of Pennsylvania
- 1995: B.A. in Sociology, Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT
Research Interests & Projects
Poverty, inequality and economic well-being over the life course; demography; the family; the transition to adulthood.
- Kennedy, Sheela and Steven Ruggles. 2014. “Breaking Up Is Hard To Count: The Rise of Divorce in the United States, 1980-2010.” Demography 51: 587-598. PMCID: PMC3972308.
- López-Gay, Antonio, Albert Esteve, Julian López-Colás, Iñaki Permanyer, Anna Turu, Sheela Kennedy, Benoît Laplante, and Ron Lesthaeghe. 2014. “Towards a Geography of Unmarried Cohabitation.” Demographic Research 30: 1621-1638. PMC pending.
- Kennedy, Sheela and Catherine A. Fitch. 2012. “Measuring cohabitation and family structure in the U.S.: Assessing the impact of new data from the Current Population Survey.” Demography 49(4): 1479-1498. PMCID: PMC3496021.
- Kennedy, Sheela and Elizabeth Thomson. 2010. “Children’s Experiences of Family Disruption in Sweden: Differentials by Parent Education over Three Decades.” Demographic Research 23(17): 479-508. PMCID: PMC2991149.
- Kennedy, Sheela and Larry L. Bumpass. 2008. "Cohabitation and Children's Living Arrangements: New Estimates from the United States." Demographic Research 19(47): 1663-1692. PMCID: PMC2612998.
- Furstenberg, Frank F., Sheela Kennedy, Vonnie C. McLoyd, Rubén G. Rumbaut, and Richard A. Settersten. 2004. “Becoming an Adult: The Changing Nature of Early Adulthood.” Contexts 3(3): 33-41.