Kenneth M. Langa, M.D., PhD
- Cyrus Sturgis Professor of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine
- Research Scientist, VA Center for Clinical Management Research
- Research Scientist, Institute for Social Research
- Professor, Health Management and Policy
- 2800 Plymouth Rd
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109
Dr. Langa is the Cyrus Sturgis Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine and
Institute for Social Research, a Research Scientist in the Veterans Affairs Center
for Clinical Management Research, and an Associate Director of the Institute of Gerontology,
all at the University of Michigan. He is also Associate Director of the Health and Retirement Study (HRS), a National Institute on Aging funded longitudinal study of 20,000 adults in the
Dr. Langa received an MD and PhD in Public Policy at the University of Chicago as a Fellow in the Pew Program for Medicine, Arts, and the Social Sciences. He is a General Internist with an active clinical practice treating adult patients, an elected member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI), and an elected fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
Dr. Langa’s research focuses on the epidemiology and costs of chronic disease in older adults, with an emphasis on Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. He has published more than 250 peer-reviewed articles on these topics, and is currently studying population trends in dementia prevalence, and the relationship of common cardiovascular risk factors, as well as acute illnesses such as sepsis and stroke, to cognitive decline and dementia. In 2007 and 2015, Dr. Langa was a Visiting Professor at the University of Cambridge, and in 2015 he was also a Visiting Professor at the World Health Organization in Geneva, Switzerland, and the University of California--San Francisco, where he continued work on cross-national comparisons of the epidemiology and outcomes of dementia in the United States, England, and other countries around the world.
- MD, Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, 1994
- PhD, Harris Graduate School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago, 1992
- BA, Sociology, Amherst College, 1985
- Dr. Langa's research focuses on the epidemiology and costs of chronic disease in older adults, with an emphasis on Alzheimer's disease and other dementias.
- Llewellyn, D., Lang, I., Huppert, F., Melzer, D., Xie, J., Langa, K.M. (2008). Framingham Stroke Risk Profile and cognitive function: A population-based study BMC Neurology .
- Langa, K.M., Larson, E., Karlawish, J., Cutler, D., Kabeto, M., Kim, S., Rosen, A. (2008). Trends in the prevalence and mortality of cognitive impairment in the United States: Is there evidence of a compression of cognitive morbidity? Alzheimer's & Dementia 134-144.
- Plassman, B., Langa, K.M., Fisher, G., et al. (2008). Prevalence of cognitive impairment without dementia in the United States. Internal Medicine 427-434.
- Plassman, B., Langa, K.M., Fisher, G., et al. (2007). Prevalence of dementia in the United States: The Aging, Demographics, and Memory Study Neuroepidemiology 125-132.
- Cigolle, C., Langa, K.M., Kabeto, M., Blaum, C. (2007). Geriatric conditions and disability: The Health and Retirement Study Annals of Internal Medicine 156-164.
- American College of Physicians
- Association for Health Services Research
- Gerontological Society of America
- Society of General Internal Medicine
- Society for Medical Decision Making
- American Geriatrics Society