Kenneth M. Langa, M.D., PhD
Dr. Langa is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine, a Research Investigator in the Ann Arbor Veterans Affairs HSR&D Center, a Faculty Associate at the Institute for Social Research, and Associate Director of the Institute of Gerontology, at the University of Michigan. He is a Co-Investigator for the Health and Retirement Study (HRS), a National Institute on Aging funded longitudinal study of 20,000 adults in the United States ( http://hrsonline.isr.umich.edu ). He is also Lead Investigator for the Aging, Demographics, and Memory Study (ADAMS), a supplemental study to the HRS regarding the risk factors, epidemiology, and outcomes of dementia. He is the recipient of a Career Development Award and R01 grants from the National Institute on Aging, a Paul Beeson Physician Faculty Scholars in Aging Research Award, and a New Investigator Award from the Alzheimer's Association. In 2007, Dr. Langa was a Visiting Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Institute of Public Health at Cambridge University in Cambridge, England.
- MD, Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, 1994
- PhD, Harris Graduate School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago, 1992
- BA, Sociology, Amherst College, 1985
Research Interests & Projects
- Dr. Langa's research focuses on the epidemiology and costs of chronic disease in older adults, with an emphasis on Alzheimer's disease and other dementias.
- Llewellyn, D., Lang, I., Huppert, F., Melzer, D., Xie, J., Langa, K.M. (2008). Framingham Stroke Risk Profile and cognitive function: A population-based study BMC Neurology .
- Langa, K.M., Larson, E., Karlawish, J., Cutler, D., Kabeto, M., Kim, S., Rosen, A. (2008). Trends in the prevalence and mortality of cognitive impairment in the United States: Is there evidence of a compression of cognitive morbidity? Alzheimer's & Dementia 134-144.
- Plassman, B., Langa, K.M., Fisher, G., et al. (2008). Prevalence of cognitive impairment without dementia in the United States. Internal Medicine 427-434.
- Plassman, B., Langa, K.M., Fisher, G., et al. (2007). Prevalence of dementia in the United States: The Aging, Demographics, and Memory Study Neuroepidemiology 125-132.
- Cigolle, C., Langa, K.M., Kabeto, M., Blaum, C. (2007). Geriatric conditions and disability: The Health and Retirement Study Annals of Internal Medicine 156-164.
- American College of Physicians
- Association for Health Services Research
- Gerontological Society of America
- Society of General Internal Medicine
- Society for Medical Decision Making
- American Geriatrics Society