James M. Lepkowski, PhD
- Professor Emeritus, Biostatistics, School of Public Health
- Research Professor Emeritus, Survey Methodology, Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan.
- Director, Summer Institute in Survey Research Techniques, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan.
- Co-Director, Sampling Program for Survey Statisticians, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan.
- M4023 SPHII
- 1415 Washington Heights
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2029
- Institute for Social Research
- 426 Thompson Street
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104
James Lepkowski is a survey methodologist at the Institute for Social Research where he directs the Summer Institute in Survey Research Techniques. He has been on the faculty of Biostatistics and the Institute for Social Research since 1982, conducting research on survey sampling and estimation as well as teaching courses on sampling, surveys, and related topics.
- PhD, Biostatistics, University of Michigan, 1980
- MPH, Biostatistics, University of Michigan, 1976
- B.S., Mathematics, Illinois State University, 1970
- Methodological research activities at present include telephone sampling methods, methods for compensating for missing survey data, and methods to analyze survey data that take the complexity of the survey sample design into account. Multidisciplinary research on health care quality, access and coverage; family growth and fertility; epidemiology of human exposure to environmental contamination; social epidemiology; aging, race, and socio-economic status; social and psychological consequences of widowhood; education, gender, labor force participation, and economic status; race and discrimination in higher education; epidemiology of hypertension and stroke risk factors in African Americans; vitamin A deficiency; and cataract and blinding eye conditions.
- Lepkowski JM, Mosher WA, Davis KA, van Hoewyk J. (2010). Continuous National Survey
of Family Growth: New Concepts for Sample Design and Analysis Vital and Health Statistics series. National Center for Health Statistics
- Groves RM, Fowler JF, Couper MP, Lepkowski JM, Tourangeau R, & Singer E. Survey Methodology,
2nd Edition. New York: J.W. Wiley and Sons, 2009.
- Garabrant D, Franzblau A, Lepkowski J, Gillespie BW, Adriaens P, Demond A, Ward B,
Ladronka K, Hedgeman E, Knutson K, Zwica L, Olson K, Towey T, Chen Q, & Hong B (2009).
The University of Michigan Dioxin Exposure Study: Methods for an Environmental Exposure
Study of Polychlorinated Dioxins, Furans, and Biphenyls Environmental Health Perspectives 803-810
- Tucker C & Lepkowski JM (2007). Telephone Survey Methods: Adapting to Change In Lepkowski JM, Tucker C, Brick JM, de Leeuw E, Japec L, Lavrakas PJ, Link MW, & Sangster RL (Ed.) Advances in Telephone Survey Methodology 3-28. J.W. Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- 1978-Present: Fellow, American Statistical Association
- 1988-Present: Member, International Statistical Institute
- 1988-Present: Member, International Association of Survey Statisticians
- 2007-Present: Member, American Marketing Association
- 2006-Present: Member, Marketing Research Associaton
Director, Program in Survey Methodology
Co-Director and Chief Mathematical Statistician, National Survey of Family Growth