Helen Levy, PhD
- Research Professor, Health Management and Policy
- Research Professor, Institute for Social Research
- Research Professor, Ford School of Public Policy
- Institute for Social Research
- 426 Thompson St, Ann Arbor MI 48104
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104
Dr. Levy is a Research Professor in the Department of Health Management and Policy; she is also a Research Professor at the Institute for Social Research and the Ford School of Public Policy. She is a Research Associate at the National Bureau of Economic Research. Before coming to the University of Michigan she was an Assistant Professor at the Harris Graduate School of Public Policy Studies at the University of Chicago and a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Scholar in Health Policy Research at the University of California at Berkeley. In 2010 - 2011, Dr. Levy served as a Senior Economist to the President's Council of Economic Advisers in Washington, DC.
- PhD, Economics, Princeton University, 1998
- B.A., Mathematics & History, Yale University, 1991
- Dr. Levy's research interests include the causes and consequences of lacking health insurance, evaluation of public health insurance programs, and the role of health literacy in explaining disparities in health outcomes. She is an Associate Director on the Health and Retirement Study, a long-running longitudinal study of health and economic dynamics at older ages.
- Levy, Helen, Andrew Ying, and Nicholas Bagley. 2020. “What’s Left of the Affordable Care Act? A Progress Report.” RSF: The Russell Sage Foundation Journal of the Social Sciences 6(2): 42–66.
- Vincent Fusaro, H. Luke Shaefer, and Helen Levy. 2018. “Racial and Ethnic Disparities in the Lifetime Prevalence of Homelessness in the United States.” Demography 55(6): 2119-2128.
- Helen Levy, Edward C. Norton, and Jeffrey Smith. 2018. “Tobacco Regulation and Cost-Benefit Analysis: How Should We Value Foregone Consumer Surplus?” American Journal of Health Economics 4(1): 1 - 25.
- John Z. Ayanian, Gabriel M. Ehrlich, Donald R. Grimes, and Helen Levy. 2017. “Economic Effects of Medicaid Expansion in Michigan.” New England Journal of Medicine 376: 407-410.
- American Economic Association
- American Society of Health Economists